Organizational tips

I put one of those closet organizers for sweaters in my laundry room. Each kid has a cubby or "mailbox" as they like to put it. When I'm done folding each kids items, I put their specific clothing in their cubby so they can put it away. It also helps because I can fold their clothes straight out of the dryer vs. putting it in a basket where it will likely be forgotten for a while and wrinkle. I have to fold each load before I can move the next load over, so I don't end up with piles of clean clothes in my living room.

What is your best organizational tool or tip? What makes you a more efficient mother?

bradymommy

Asked by bradymommy at 12:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Clean as I go, do things that prevent me from cleaning as I go before everyone wakes up, or have my SO do them before I wake up. For instance, we only do laundry super early in the morning to prevent it from taking us over. We only clean the shower at night, the last person to shower does the honors a couple times a week. So basically I just organize the time of which I do things.

umm? hmm that's really it, im not a big stickler for having things spotless, or super organized. I just like things done ahead of time and for personal stuff, like mail, docs, etc put away and filed asap
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yeah, before a few days ago, I had a piling system for my papers instead of a filing system, lol. Paperwork is my cryptonite.
    bradymommy

Comment by bradymommy (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree that paperwork is my biggest issue. Hubby got me a wonderfile and it really is awesome! As for other organization all the kids toys are in seperate bins and on shelves.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Decluttering on a regular basis. Life is much easier and less stressful when you don't have to deal with so much "stuff".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I ♥ ♥ ♥ your idea!!!!!!! I'm going to Target right now! I used to just put every person's pile on a different step, but now I have a 2-year-old who likes to go up the stairs and then slide down and see how big a mess he can make of all the laundry I just folded! LOL!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Oh...my best tip...I keep 4 covered bins in my laundry room. 1 is for things to Goodwill. Pulling outgrown clothes from the dryer, I can just toss them in the Goodwill bin and not have them wander the house any longer. 1 is for things that my oldest daughter has outgrown and will soon fit my youngest daughter. 1 is for things that my youngest daughter has outgrown and I will pass on to my niece.1 is for hand-me-downs that don't yet fit my oldest daughter or my toddler son.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• For every bag of stuff you bring in, an equal amount must go out. Junk mail goes in recycling before it enters the house. Clean out pantry and refrig every week, on the day before trash collection day. Every thing in it's place at night. If you have kids and early mornings, get the bags, backpacks, lunches ready the night before...makes mornings stress free.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm a fan of bins, shelves and baskets!! I had my husband install "walls of shelves" with baskets in the kids' play room (basement) their bedrooms, and my formal living room/library. Baskets make clean up a breeze, and the kids can easily clean up and organize their stuff in seconds!

I also removed a door and opened up the wall around a coat closet at the far end of my kitchen--between the laundry room, powder room, and the door to the garage, and placed two hall trees with storage benches and cubby holes side by side, which now serves as a "mud room." It's an easy place to hang coats, put shoes, boots, backpacks, and other accessories--and it always looks neat and clean--because mud and wet feet aren't being tracked throughout my home! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I tried the organizational bins for the kids' playroom, but I still have a hard time getting them to put their toys away when their done playing. I did find a terrific website to encourage kids to do their chores. It's handipoints.com, and the kids like being able to get on the computer and check off their chores. I like that you can "grade" your kids on their performance. I use their points earned to determine a $ value amount to pay them. I pay them in play $ and have a movie night once a week where they can buy movie tickets and concessions. I just rent something from Redbox and pop it in the TV, turn out the lights and enjoy an hour or so of uninterrupted time to clean or check on my facebook page.
    bradymommy

Comment by bradymommy (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011