having a hard time quitting

Just found out I am pregnant and am having such a hard time quitting smoking. When I completely threw them away, I started having anxiety attacks. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• try hypnosis therapy, it works.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i wish u good luck with quiting! i dont smoke but my husband quit recently and he was having a hard time! again good luck and u can do it :0)
    bicksbabydoll

Answer by bicksbabydoll at 1:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If you haven't seen your OB yet, cut back slowly until you talk to your doc and get their recommendation.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I was a smoker too when I found out I was pregnant. But I did quit--cold turkey. Every time I got that urge, I just thought about that little life in there and didn't want to risk it in any way. (I was 40 when I got pregnant, so I had enough anxiety about that. lol) In our local health department, they displayed a baby bottle with water and cigarette butts in it. The sign said "Would you give this to your baby? That is essentially what you are doing when you smoke while you are pregnant." Maybe you should do the same thing. Look at that when you get the urge to smoke.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It is so hard. Do the best you can. I pushed off the cig until 3 pm. I would have one then and never finished it bc it made me sick. Then I would have one at 7 or 8, Again I couldn't finish it. My hubby smokes so I would take a drag here and there which helped the cravings. I felt so guilty!! Again do the best you can w/o making yourself crazy :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I understand why you want to go anon but I would like to friend you if you want support.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Everytime you want one think of what it could do to your baby also try something as a replacement eat ice, chew pens find a hobby etc
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I wasn't a smoker, so I can only speak from the medical side of me. Some women find it best to just quit. Telling yourself you have to for the baby and then just do it. Some women find it easiest to slowly quit. Cut down to 2 cigs a day, then 1 a day, then 1 a week, and before you know it, you've quit. I've been told chewing gum, ice chips, preggy pops (suckers) are all helpful for fixing the craving. And I wouldn't try to quit smoking and caffeine in one fell swoop as many newly pregnant moms do. Suddenly quitting smoking, alcohol, and caffeine all at once would make anyone crazy. Clearly, you cut the alcohol first. Then you work on kicking the cigs. Then you work on caffeine (though it isn't necessary to cut it completely out- just moderate it).
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 4:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• What is more important a cancer stick or a healthy baby? Ask yourself that every time you reach for one!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011