I have a rewarding and depressing job....Everytime I go into work i have to prep myself

I work at a homeless shelter with children k-8th grade. I swear some of these parents really piss me off, some are great and just need to get on their feet, but the druggies who tell their kids they won't be anything, who act like school will get them no where, etc just makes me so sad for the kids. You can see the cycle repeat. :(

No one I work with knows but the homeless shelter I work at, I used to live it when I was a kid, with my mom. She had me @ 15 and did very well in the beginning but at one point my dad purposely got her kicked out of her low income apt and we had to live in a shelter for like 4-5 months. Even my mom being a young single mom was able to get us back on our feet and make sure I was as smart as can be. So when I see these moms who just gave birth and are back on dope I want to cringe. And then they blame everyone else like their just victims to society. pff

It's hard to not cry, but I am probably the only positive role model some of these kids will see.

Advice moms? I try to act semi-robotic so I don't get too emotional and the consensus is that most of the counselors there do too, they just have to be surface happy to make it thru the day.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 1:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Can you whisper into these children's ears that they are INCREDIBLY SPECIAL and that their parent is just sick or sad or something? You MUST know that YOU are blessed to have access to these people....good or bad...you are soooo very lucky to be able to do the work you do. You will not be able to save or help everyone, but you will be of help to some. What you do MATTERS! Do NOT allow yourself to be completely robotic. It is okay to feel sad....so just pray for them and help them as much as you can. And be at PEACE that you do not have all the answers. Be at PEACE that struggle and hard times are actually WONDERFUL. Look at what the hard times did for you!!! We are meant to suffer...it is what builds strength and character....some people, sadly, cannot recover from human struggle, but NOBODY can learn and strengthen without this struggle.

Hold tight to a faith in God. It is your "armor" for every day. I envy you!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It might be good if they could see that you came from that and have achieved so much.
    Drug addiction is a disease. They do not want to be addicts. They did not say I want to grow up to be a drug addict.
    The attitude needs to change so that something can be done to help them get help and not just be judged.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You have a gift to be able to do what you do. Not everyone knows how to reach out to children that are going through so much. I believe you are a true guardian angel to these babies. They are so lucky to have you. Say a prayer for guidance every single day before you walk in there. God is in charge here.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You are an amazing person. I know it is so hard to mentally separate yourself when it 1 is so personal and 2 you are a sweet person. You are in a position that you can help children which makes you an angel. All you can do is hold your children tighter :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• God bless you and the work that you do. It takes special people like you. Make sure you have time to decompress every so often even if it is to simply take a long bath or enjoy a cup of tea. Keep things in perspective and if it ever is too much for you be honest with yourself and do what is best for you. Thank you for the work you do. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You are to be commended for being such a positive influence. They are lucky to have you.
    Acts of kindness are what make the world go round. GO YOU!!
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 9:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Pray. Idk what else to say. I would just pray, for them, for you, for all of it. Youre so strong<3
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would let them know your past. ESP. The children. It gives them hope! Hope is what they need most!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• There's a point where you have to want to change, no matter how many people ask them to go to a rehab, or ask them to stay clean, they don't. They have all of the free resources possible and some stick to it, don't get me wrong there are some great parents in there, but others just aren't making the best choices. They haven't hit their rock bottom, for some this is their rock bottom, but for others it's not, which is sad when there are kids involved.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• @TLALONDE16

I do my best to have one on one time with all of them. I try to boost their confidence as much as I can in the short amount of time that I have. Sometimes parents will come in and they will mimic how I am, like get really excited for even the littlest accomplishment. You can kind of tell they are trying to do better, they come and watch how we interact. It's like they seriously have no idea. But I am glad I am there. like I said most rewarding job, but also can be the most depressing.

I think one day I will go off clock to one of the parent meetings and kind of share my story with the parents. Maybe it will inspire them, hopefully.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2011