What should I do? Teachers concerned about ds.

Ds is in Kindergarten. I was helping in the classroom yesterday and his teacher mentioned to me that she has some concerns and would like me to talk with the Title 1 reading teacher since she was there testing the kids. They are both concerned about ds. He can't seem to focus on his work at school. When he's given directions, he either sits there with a blank look on his face or only does part of the task. He always needs instructions repeated multiple times. The other day, he was told to write the alphabet in capital and then again in lower case. Well, all he did was a capital A & B. But I know he can do it all. I've been noticing him bringing home incomplete papers. They asked if we've ever had his hearing checked and we have, no problems there. His behavior is great, they said he is the sweetest kid, tries hard, and shows signs of high intelligence. But something is just...wrong. I'm a bit freaked out and have no idea what to do for him. My sister thinks he has signs of Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

I'm calling the ped on Tuesday but I'm not sure what else to do for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lower intelligence. Not at all. But knowing what is going on will give you and the teachers the knowledge of how to assist your child. If you go to a psychologist privately most insurances do not cover it and testing can run in the thousands. Thus that is why schools do not really enjoy offering testing they are required to do at a parent's request. So if I were you I would both consult with my doctor and make the request through the school for testing. Knowing your rights is important.  There are so many things that could be going on.  You have it early so good for you.  Now start on the path to finding what is the situation so you have a plan to help your son in life and at school.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It is great that you and the teachers are on top of it. It may be nothing. But if there is a problem finding it early and addressing it is the best thing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Sounds like Auditory Processing Disorder. His audiologist should refer you for testing. It is really no biggie as some kids just aren't mature enough for kindergarten yet, especially boys! I experienced this with my son and I have 3 special needs kids and i promise you it is no big deal! You will be ok...GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• honestly i would talk to the school and see if maybe they can offer some suggestions as to what it may be ? and have a follow up appointment to have hearing checked again. and to the ped and gfrom there or maybe even some therapy or an after school program to help with homework? maybe he also does not understand what the teacher wants him to do or maybe he is even bored in school and that is what causes him to be distracted . GL
    mom_of_2_girlz

Answer by mom_of_2_girlz at 5:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Work with the teacher and any professionals the school offers to do whatever your son needs. I hope it all works out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Have they given him different ways to complete an assignment? Not all kids can jump into paper writing etc, they need all over stimulation there is something called learning types and he may be different then the way they are approaching him
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i would talk to the school and check with the drs
    sami1979

Answer by sami1979 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Work with the school. My daughter went through this also. In K-6 she worked with the Title1 tutors and then in 7-12 she worked one on one with a specialist to help with her core classes.It is called an IEP- Individual Education Program. She has ADD and would not have graduated without the IEP.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 9:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Many boys are having difficulty in kindergarten because they are required to do tasks they are not developmentally ready to tackle. Writing letters takes eye/hand coordination that is often not developed until first grade. In my view, the task you describe, writing the entire alphabet first in upper and then in lower case letters, is inappropriate and has little value. Although your son is able to do it, It can be hard work and frustrating, and so he doesn't complete paper work. It's most important that your son not be made to feel like he is a failure or that you're disappointed in him. In most cases it just takes praise when a job is well done, time and maturation for this to turn around. Do, however, discuss it with your pediatrician. www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 1:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If the school is concerned then their first action should be to suggest testing by the school psychologist. You can put your request in writing, keep a copy of that request (who you gave it to, when, and where). They need to respond in so many days. They may discourage testing (it costs the school a lot of money) but it is your right to request an evaluation. You could see your child's doctor (and I would do this in addition to) but your child's doctor will refer you to a specialist. Ultimately it will be a psychologist who has to diagnose learning difficulties and what type of learning difficulty your child is having. If any at all. I call them learning differences. Also sometimes we have what are called auditory processing disorders. Where information and the process of understanding can be jumbled. It does not mean

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011