What Can I Do To Get My Son To Stop Clinging And Play With His Toys?

My son is 8 months old. I'm currently a student and he just clings to me and won't leave me alone. He doesn't seem to want to play with any of his toys. He just wants to sit in my lap and hold me. I don't understand it. I love my lil man to pieces i just wish there was a way i could get him to play with his toys occasionally, that way i could possibly have a chance to get some school work done.

tink0922

Asked by tink0922 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried playing with him with his toys? show him how to play with them. I do that with my toddlers and after a while they forget youre there and just play with the boys.
    his attention span is probably still pretty short but after a while of getting him involved with the toys, maybe he'll catch on!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• oh and maybe he just doesn't like the toys? i know I always wanted my boys to play with all these cute toys and then I realized they weren't age appropriate, or they simply didn't care about them... try some new stuff? or try some baby genius dvds. my boys LOVE those, I get a lot of homework done because of those lol (comcast has some movies like that on ondemand if you have comcast...)
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i've tried getting down and playing with him with his toys and he shows no interest in the toys at all. he just goes back to climbing all over me and he doesn't like the tv for some reason. i've tried baby einstien and for some reason he will just see it and cry. i'm at a complete loss right now.
    tink0922

Comment by tink0922 (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• try a mirror or pots and pans my daughter loved looking at the mirror at the baby and playing peek a boo.. pots and pans are great too. cus they make alot of noise.. i used to lay my daughter down for a nap and read my college books to her and she would get bored and go to sleep she is 3 now and almost to smart for her own good..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 1:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I used to hold my son on my lap while I was doing whatever I needed to do. I would just talk to him about what I was doing so that he was learning and being entertained and I got to do what I wanted to. He is too young to understand your studies, but you could always read the textbook out loud to him while you study. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My best advice...only b/c my daughter constantly needs to be stimulated. She's 2 1/2...Have you tried doing your work outside?? Babies love to be outdoors, and will get VERY easily bored, even with TV...give him time outside. babies get cabin fever too and he doesn't understand that you need to study...he just knows he wants his mommy..if you're inside, try turning some music on and building blocks with him..let him knock them over...lay out a huge sheet of paper, and let him finger paint...you need to get creative. my daughter was easily bored with toys.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I always found my kids were happier playing with safe things from the cupboards. Pots and pans, plastic containers, etc. He is really young and might need more of your interaction than another baby might.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Some babies are this way my son is I just offer him toys whenever I can and then go ahead and hold him I also try to be boring when I hold him at times so he will want outside stimulation from toys or other people, he will eventually get that way. Also a playgroup might be worth a try as well
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Your baby loves you, and is well-bonded to you. Use a sling or other carrier, and talk to your baby while you work: read your textbooks out loud, talk through your homework, etc..

Perhaps you have a friend, relative or neighbor who will trade child care with you.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• thank you everyone. i will surely try doing some of the things that you have suggested. i know that he really just wants to be with me but being a young mommy it's kind of difficult not to get a little frustrated with him. once again thank you soooo much. i really do appreciate it.
    tink0922

Comment by tink0922 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011