online classes?

Anyone here ever take online college classes? I enrolled and will be starting in 2 weeks. Just wondering what yalls opinions are. Thank you!

a_brown23

Asked by a_brown23 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in

• I do classes from my university both online and in class. I like them, especially ones I don't want to sit in class for, but I still have the option to go on campus and sit in on a lecture.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I've taken countless online classes. they can be great or they can really suck. it depends on the class, the teacher, and your learning style. for example i could NEVER learn math online. but I've taken a lot of english type classes (including english) online.
    some teachers are able to set it up very organized, where each week is the same due dates, simliar assignments.
    where as some teachers suck so much and their classes are way different than any other online class youv'e ever taken, and aren't organized the same way.
    for example I'm taking an online psych class this quarter and i feel like this teacher has never taught an online class before...
    there can be a lot of problems or their can be none. its really up to the teacher. and your learning style.
    I would never tell someone "dont take them they suck" but I also wouldn't say "omg take them i love them"
    (continued in next comment)
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• because its totally up to, again, you, the teacher, your learning style and the class.
    if youre really motivated and organized, you can do it. you just have to be able to keep track of everything and work on it more than once a week. I've found if i leave everything for the last day I dont do well. I try to work on my class everyday. (i get more done, quicker)

good luck!!!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm taking several online courses next semester, and I've only taken at the most, three before. A lot of my professors are pretty strict, and lay out due dates of assignments at the beginning of the semester, so there's really no excuse for not getting your work done. You have to be hard on yourself and really organized when taking online classes, because you don't have a teacher reminding you every day during class.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 5:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011