what am i doing wrong here ?

embarrassedwhenever i use a rice cooker either the rice is still too crunchy or it is over cooked. i use the measuring cup and i put 2 cups of water for every cup of rice, i also add a little oil. ps..the cooker has only one setting

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I always do a 3:1 ratio. Bring the water to a boil, add rice, let it boil for a bit, and then bring to medium. I figure a bunch of water steams out. My rice always turns out cooked.

If you are doing whole wheat rice do a 3.5:1 ratio or 4:1 ratio
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't do the 2-1 thing in my rice cooker my standard batch of rice is 6 of the scoops water and 4 scoops rice or 3-2 and I stir half way and then turn off when it is done vs the keep warm setting
    good lucks
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 2:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I never could figure my rice cooker out and I burn rice on the stove. lol, now I microwave it, it comes out great every time.
    2 cups water = 1 cup rice
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 2:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes... it's definitely 'follow the instructions that came with it' issue. You're not adding enough water.

The rice cooker turns off automatically when the water's all absorbed/evaporated and the temperature climbs rapidly. If the rice isn't cooked when the water runs out, that's not the cooker's fault.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2011