unemployed?

Anyone's DH/SO unemployed? I have beena SAHM since DD birth in February 2007. Dh had a decent job and the company sold out and closed down. He has been unemployed it will be 1 year on January 29. Life has been a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs. It's so nice to have him around, but he's ALWAYS around! lol. Money is tight, but we save on gas by him not driving to work everyday.

What are your experiences with this?

a_brown23

Asked by a_brown23 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• My dh was laid off last summer. Unemployment just wasn't cutting it, and with me being a full time student I am unable to go to work and do well in school. DH took a job working two hours from home, it pays only slightly more than unemployment. I am stressed to the max, and half our bills aren't getting paid. I am just praying for his old company to call him back.
    Bennett121

Answer by Bennett121 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I know how ya feel. There are no jobs in our area. We are literally scraping by. Good luck to you.
    a_brown23

Comment by a_brown23 (original poster) at 3:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Seems like we have a bit in common. I've been a SAHM since my Son was born in July 2007. My DH was forced to leave his job in March of '09 our daughter was only 2 weeks old. It was pretty stressful. He did get another job 6 weeks later, but he isn't making what he used to make. I now work from home to help us out. I love it! I do remember that period when he was home 24/7. LOL! I was like... so when are you starting your new job??? Gotta love 'em right!!!

Best Wishes!!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think with us both home we argue way to much and for us our marriage is affected in a negative way with us both home and other reasons but also there are companys out there that will help with bills like Utilities and Rent...Also BENNETT121 What stay at home job do you work for ?????
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 4:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• have you tried www.indeed.com for a job?
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 5:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Iam gonna look at the website myself
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yup. husband is unemployed right now and it has been several months. We were tripping over each other at first but now are used to it. Really depressing though.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes, my husband is unemployed. He lost his job last year because he refused to travel out of the country because, at the time, I was hospitalized. He's home pretty much every day. I am, too, because I can no longer work because of disability. Being home with him has not been an issue, but I know he wishes he were working. He feels idle; he searches diligently online, attends job fairs, and visits the unemployment office to look for job postings. It has been difficult financially; we have my mother and our 23 year old daughter living with us. We live in a big, old house. Neither one of them contribute regularly toward bills like heat and electricity. We're doing the best we can, but they just don't get it. I worry mostly about health care coverage. He's been looking into that, too. I coupon and use my charge card to delay payments and collect points toward cash back. When the bill comes, we pay it in full.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• There are lots of job hunting tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

I do career and job search coaching. I am always happy to help CafeMoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy, etc.; and I do not charge CafeMoms for my services.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2011