a high school student got her phone confiscated by the teacher..

her parents get a phone call from the principal informing them that their daughter has nude pics on her cell. Do you think the teacher was wrong for going through the phone ? would you sue the school ? i sure would..

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I believe the teacher was wrong for going through the phone. It's the parents responsibility, not the teachers. It's not directly tied in to her academic studies, but life outside of the school.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• With sexting and all the issues with cell phones I say way to go to the teacher kids need to be called on this kind of crap and obviously her parents weren't on top of it. There are district and school policy about this and no it is not an invasion of privacy because they brought the phone and used it, there are laws and rules about objects on school property
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Kids are not allowed to take out the cell phones in class and teachers have the right to take them from then and give them back when they leave, you should thank her for doing what she did, or else you would never know what she was up to. There is no case, because there are no damages.

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The student must have been using it at an inappropriate time. The pictures were at school. I would think that it is illegal to have nude or pornographic pictures in her possession at school. I would be grateful that the teacher had discovered this and was concerned enough to report it. As a parent, I should have known about this and done something. I think it is a reflection of the fact that the schools have to do the job that the parents are not doing.
    Now, the school is trying to help with this and the parents think they have to sue. What is wrong with this society.
    It is up to us as parents, teachers and community adults to guide and teach and watch over our children.
    Parents have to stop blaming others for their childs misdeeds. That student needs attention.
    Why in the world is the focus of this question on the teacher? It should be on why this child had nude pictures and what has to be done to help the chi
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The student was breaking the rules when they had the phone at school in the first place. Lockers can be searched at any time, why not cell phones. Also, why is no one worried that the teen had nude pics on her phone in the first place. As a parent, that would be my primary concern!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think if the child was texting or using the phone the teacher had a right to take it. But nothing gave her or him the right to go through it that is absolutley envasion of privacy even if she is a minor. But here's a question does the parent have the right to go through their child's cell phone or is that also an invasion of privacy. The children sure think so.
    Peaceablemom

Answer by Peaceablemom at 4:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• IF the teacher and principal were told that they saw inappropriate photos on the phone, they should go through it. Sexting is a serious problem and can lead the person with the pics to be considered a sex offender and have to register as such for life. I would NOT sue, press charges or anything like that. I would talk to the principal and say, next time please call me so we can go through the phone together. Sorry, your daughter should not have had nude pics on the phone and the teacher and principal had every right to confiscate the phone, especially if having a phone on at school is against policy..which I have a feeling it is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I believe that the lawsuit is unnecessary: the teacher is going to be standing in front of a police officer having 'invasion of privacy' and 'private property' explained. Probably not in handcuffs...but I'd press charges, for sure.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If the student was using the phone during an inappropriate time the phone should have been taken away and the parents should have been called to come pick it up. But if in fact the teacher went through the phone, I feel that they had no business doing so. The only way I see this being an ok situation would be that the student was looking at the pictures during class, and that is how the teacher came to see them - they were already pulled up and active on the phone.
    babytjsmum

Answer by babytjsmum at 4:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Did she take the phone and go through it, or did she take the phone, and the nude pics were already on the screen?
    Either way, it wasn't right of her, but the teen could also get into a lot of trouble too. If the DA wanted to, they could file charges on her for possessing child pornography... And if i were the teacher being sued, i would definitely make sure the girl was prosecuted as well.
    And if I were the girls parents, i would be more upset about the nude pics, texting in class, sexting, and why she took the pics. I wouldn't sue. Everyone is suing everyone now. Its ridiculous. The parents should thank the teacher for bringing this to their attention before the pics ended up on the Internet.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011