should we pay to put illegal immigrants in jail before deportation ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think even if we pay for their jail time until their hearing, they are still costing taxpayers CONSIDERABLY less than if they stayed in this country ILLEGALLY and indefinitely!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Illegal immigrants screw up a lot of our financial situation in the USA anyway. I believe we should do whatever means necessary to prevent their escape and make sure they are properly relocated back to the country where they are a citizen.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• As opposed to not paying?? Do you think they might do it for free?
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 5:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Don't they have to go through the deportation hearing? Even if they are illegal, they have the right to due process. What would the alternative be, trust them to come back so they can be deported?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Maybe we can charge it, we seem to do that with everything else.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes, place them in some sort of detainment facility until they can be sent back to their country of origin. I think all of that stuff QuinnMae mentioned is crazy, no wonder people think it's no big deal to come here illegally, we're providing them with a vacation. Ugh.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well, I believe if they aren't breaking the law, they put them in detention centers (sort of like jail) so that they can process them before deportation. You can't just take someone and drop them in another country without jumping through some hoops. Well, at least not OTHER countries. Apparently it's okay to expect the U.S. to take every undocumented individual for any reason under the sun.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Sorry Gwen, I'm just playin with ya. What is your question, you need to define it just a tad.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If you put them in some sort of detention center, the authorities will be blasted for a 'concentration camp'. There is a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' element to this issue. I think that if you, were to detain them, as I think should be done, it should be in a place this is more of the minimum security type. They came over illegally, but that isn't violent. Don't punish them according to the crime until deported.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• In Houston, they make it really nice for the illegals. Why wouldn't one want to be caught in these parts? Seems more like camp to me:

• Allow visitors to come for as long as they like during a 12-hour period each day and on weekends.

• Provide self-serve beverage bars

• Provide celebrations of special occasions and allowing a detainee to receive outside, packaged food for celebrations and while visiting with family and friends.

• Provide email access for detainees, as is currently provided at Hutto.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2011