Talking On A Cellphone While Teaching?

The other day I went to get my sister from school and I was kind of leaning against the door and I saw her teacher answer her cellphone while she was teaching her class & then to turn around and take away a childs phone for texting? What kind of crap is that?

JamaciaMelissa

Asked by JamaciaMelissa at 4:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that answering a phone call isn't that big of a deal.  It could have been important/an emergency.  Being a hypocrite and taking away someone elses phone is bs.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I can see if it was an emergency then ok but if not then she should get into trouble as that is teaching time not social time.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 6:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If it were a real emergency, I am sure they could have called her at work. That is wrong doing it then punishing a child. That is just like a parent doing something and the child do the same thing but get in trouble for it. IMO.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well without knowing the reason behind it you can't really judge, but if she had an emergency or something that she needed to take the call it is ok, and taking away the phone is most likely school or district policy on cell phone use or even classroom policy, she is the teacher and should be respected. Kids shouldn't be using phones at school. Teachers have other outside responsibilities that need to be monitored for all you know she had a sick kid and was waiting to find out if she needed to go home etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• A child is diff from an adult. I dont consider her being an example either. She is the adult and just cause she answers her phone doesnt mean that she shouldnt be able to take away a students. It could have been an emergency. Id give her the benefit of the doubt and let her be the adult. Children and adults shouldnt always have equal privelages. JMO
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• And by being an example Imean in this situation.
    Steph319

• Generally speaking they shouldn't be on their cell phones while they are teaching; but there could have been extenuating circumstances. I wouldn't judge.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• honestly my childs school gives the staff cell phones and that how they talk to each other though out the day....so i dont see an issue with it .....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I kept my cell with me at all times no matter where I was teaching when I was a sub and when I had my own classroom. There are a few calls I would take while teaching - one of those being from my own children's schools or my husband. Students are not allowed to have cell phones in class for a huge number of reasons - they cause distractions, can be used for cheating, and generally impede the learning process. As for calling the school directly, as sub I could show up at one school and then be sent to another. If my kids needed me they called my cell because there was no guarantee of where I would really be. When I started teaching full time our school didn't have a full time secretary, our lead teacher took calls, so calling the school office would mean that they were interrupting two classrooms, not just one.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You could have reported her to the principal. Teachers talking and texting on their phones is against policy. Emergency or not. She should be following school rules too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2011