what do you think about airlines charging extremely large people for 2 seats on the plane?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 5:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. I have flow a lot in my life, and i can say from experience that when you start to encroach on my ability to have a comfortable flight, you need to buy 2 seats. I pay to fly, and i expect a certain level of comfort. And if i was taking a 12 hour flight, and the person next to me took up half of my seat, you better believe i would be complaining. I paid for MY seat, and if you are taking it up, you should have paid for it. Yes, it sucks that they need to spend twice as much, but i am not going to sacrifice my comfort, in a flight that i paid for, because i am being crushed against the window. Not going to happen.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• if they cant fit into one seat and have to sit in two seats, they are using two seats so why wouldnt they have to pay for it? that would be taking money away from the company if they just give away seats.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If you need two seats, you should pay for two seats.

I feel sorry for people forced to sit next to obese people who haven't purchased an extra seat, but feel they are entitled to 1/2 of the seat someone else paid for while that poor person is squished and uncomfortable.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 7:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't mean this in a mean way, because while I'm not obese, I'm not exactly tiny either. But the thing is, if you don't fit in the seat, and are taking up 2 of them, then you should pay for 2 of them. Also, they DO have a smaller part of the plane where the seats are larger and the tickets, while more, don't cost the price of 2 of the regular seats.... it's First Class (and some of the larger flights also have business class as well...)

If the airlines - who do make the seats pretty packed in there - find that more people are going with the airlines that have more space, then they will increase their space - basically to grab their share of the market. I know that some will advertise the leg room, seat size, etc for the various planes / flights.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I do feel that if you take up two then you should pay for two. If the plane is full then that seat couldve been usd for someone else. So why not charge? And you cant use the argument that its not full and have extra room b/c I could easily say that a friend of mine could have taken a free ride on that empty seat. Im not being mean at all but thats just how it is, and though embarrassing, makes sense.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If you take up two seats, you should have to pay for two. It doesn't matter if there's "room left on the plane," if you buy a ticket and miss your flight you still pay for it. My heart goes out to those folks, but I have been pushed into the aisle and smashed up against the window because someone should have bought two seats. It's extremely uncomfortable for everyone.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I say it's fair. If you have to take 2 seats to sit on the plane then you should pay for it
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The airplanes make the seats small and very close roads to get more passengers, if they are using 2 seats they should pay more, what about parents flying with babies under a year? you have to pay for the baby even if you seat them in your legs. It could not be fair because obesity is disease and some people has no control over it, due to glandular failure or other causes ( eating disorders etc)but it is hard because in the other hand what if you were the one who bought the seat next to the large person and you have to be squeezed the entire flight?
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 5:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• OOOh ! OOOH!!! What about the skinny people who fall asleep and drool all over you- or talk nonsense the whole trip! Or the unrully child that keeps kicking you seat and the parent turns a blind eye. The should get a annoyance tax!!! I think they should just pay for your seat! LOL

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• IDK, I think it's time that the airlines stop making the customers feel like THEY are doing US a favor by allowing us to PAY to fly on their airlines. Flying is more uncomfortable than ever. I'm a size 2 and evn I think the seats are pretty squishy. My poor husband is 6 ft 2 and is absolutely crammed in those seats. We just recently flew to Argentina (an 8 hr flight which cost us $2K a ticket) with our two sons (4 yrs and 18 months) and on the way home the man's who was sitting in front of me reclined his seat and it literally reclined all the way on to my lap to the point were I didn't have room for my 18 month old to even sit on my lap. His seat was very obviously broken since it reclined more than any other seat on the flight. I said something to the flight attendant and she basically said "too bad, flights full". Yes I know I've gone off on a bit of a tangent and haven't really answered the question.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2011