Breastfeeding?

My baby is just about 5 months old and I just nurse the baby well she has been fussing for the last couple of days at the night time feeding and when she wakes up in the middle of the night for a feeding. So I decided to try to pump to see what happens well my milk does not flow very heavy/fast but when I pull it away from the pump and just squeeze for the milk it will come out and then I put it back in the pump and no milk will come out. so there is milk there I just don't know what to do or think since there is milk or some milk there what should I do. This is my third kid and I nursed my other kids till their 1st birthday and never had this problem.

Tdaycare6678

Asked by Tdaycare6678 at 6:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a huge problem with pumps!  I don't know why but I tried all kinds of pumps and couldn't get one drop to squeeze out.  I, like you, could get it by hand though.  If you are concerned then I would contact a lactation consultant and get her advice.  Just to put myself at ease. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yeah, I had no success with pumps either. It's a totally different "sucking" than what your baby does and your boobs don't respond.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• pumps arent good extractors for milk some people can pump up a storm others not a drop, babies are effective at getting milk so dont worry that she isn't getting any or enough.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Your baby can get the milk out much better than a pump. Don't worry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Your baby is MUCH more efficent then a pump or your hands! If you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, your supply is perfect.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i will agree with the other moms but to put ur mind at ease i would she a dr
    sami1979

Answer by sami1979 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would put a warm compress on breasts or take warm shower...massage with udder balm or lotion, then when pumping try to relax, look at baby or watch a show...just don't stare at the pumps...you may get performance anxiety...Good Luck!
    glamarina

Answer by glamarina at 8:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2011