..And what did you learn today?

Do you talk with you children to see what they're learning in school? I always do with my son because I want to know and it helps when it's conference time. But my friend's sister said her daughter's teacher was telling them in China, if the firstborn is a girl, they kill them. My friend told me that her sister just had a talk with her daughter. What do you think? She's only in 3rd grade.

virgo550

Asked by virgo550 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• while i respect the teacher for trying to peak their interests - and that fact used to be true -- i disagree because it is outdated! now daughters are more highly prized in china because there are so few women who arent given up for adoption or whatever... they chose their man... they can stratify economics easier than a man... but they cannot carry the fam name which matters to them... they are now hyphenating (sp) like we do... and btw that is in the the grade level stanards if you use the national social studies standards... not really china but understanding all the implications of different cultures and practices...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It depends how it was worded I think, I know it's been abolished now so I guess this was in history lesson or something. I think that often abandoning the children would be a nicer way to put it, since that is what they do to girls. I would ask the teacher if I was your sister if it was on the syllabus, if so I doubt she had any decision whether to say it or not. Maybe she said it quite lightly and as a side comment and the children picked up on it, as they so often do. I don't think my children would think twice about it, I try to tell them the truth always and not shield them from the world. I'm sure they hear a lot worse things in history too, such as wars and death numbers.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It is a fact. And it needs to be understood and analyzed. It would depend completely on how the teacher handled it. It is very good that the parents have asked this and know about it. Now, they can discuss it and offer guidance and reassurance to their daughter. It is concerning what a little girl could be thinking regarding this practise. Hopefully your friends can handle this.
    Usually schools go over the curriculum or send home a guide to what will be covered so that this type of topic can be handled appropriately.
    It is important that our children know that life is not all rainbows and sunshine. There are practises that are not acceptable to our way of thinking. Some of our ways here in the states are not acceptable in other regions of the world. We are different people and we have different beliefs. Not all are right.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i agree with you leah rai. I'm sure they'll hear alot more worse thing as they move up grade to grade.
    virgo550

Comment by virgo550 (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2011