So, I've heard stories of home inspectors clearing homes, saying they are all good...

when they weren't. Then, after bought, they start to really go wrong. When that happens, can you sue the inspector? Since it is their job to inspect, and report the things that are wrong? I'm talking big things, that would have kept you from buying the house to begin with.

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• any inspector worth their salt and trying to stay employed will not do this.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I am not sure about the Laws on this but I would think something could be done especially since it's their job to make sure the house is worthy of buying
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• they do it too often. You are naive to think it does not happen. You need to research the references.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It depends on the contract you sign with the inspector. Many have a "hold blameless" clause, to protect them in case something that wasn't readily visible becomes a problem down the road. You can't blame them; there are certain things that you can't predict; foundation and roofing issues can be hard, if not impossible, to detect. If there is something structurally wrong with the house and you can prove the homeowners had knowledge of it, you can sue the seller for any needed repairs.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I hadn't ever thought they would, until I watched Holmes on Homes. Now I'm all worried. We are house hunting, and I'm worried. So, when you go to hire one, you just ask for references? Before you actually hire them?
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You can also check them out with the better business bureau and find out what their grade is and look a little farther with your realtor Checking on both of them with city as well. Do you have a realtor?

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Not yet. We are currently working on securing the loan. We did find a house we really want, and a few others that are potentials. I know we need a Realtor soon, too. They are moving a shit ton of more military here. Soon. So, we need to get our asses in gear! I finally agreed to buy a house, and hubby is moving a bit slow now:(
    So, how do go about finding a Realtor that specializes in BUYERS not sellers? All we see are ones that advertise they specialize in sellers.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We had a bad inspector when we bought our first house. He seemed really professional, but it wasn't long before we started discovering all sorts of things he absolutely should have caught. The floor around the toilet was completely rotted through, and we had to pull out the toilet, the whole floor, and even the supports and replace them. The bathroom was a big hole into the basement for a couple of days there. He also said there was only one layer on the roof, and there were two. When we replaced the roof, the city code said we could go up to three layers, but if we had known that, we would have planned a tear off. Overall, I think this guy just had no clue what he was doing. Unfortunately, when an inspector gives you his report, it's just reporting what he sees to be a problem. Mostly their butts are covered, if there is more wrong. The inspector we had on our current house was just fine.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• There are obviously good and not so good inspectors out there. The key is to select one that has good references--you can ask and you should call a few--and that is NOT "buddies" with your realtor!! Pick an independent inspector, who is licensed and bonded and offers some sort of guarantee or "grace period" that will get you through your rainiest or snowiest seasons!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well, we are signed up with this program through our insurance company, USAA. They will help us with the whole process, and set us up with a local Realtor. We are looking at houses on the insurance site now, but I only found one that fits us. It's hard. If we didn't need to include a good school district, it wouldn't be this hard!!! I will def keep in mind asking for references and calling the BBB. This is exciting, and scary.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011