How to respond

My friend might have MS. He is one of my best friends and usually we joke and kid each-other all the time. When he tells me things that are important I am usually full of advice and pep talk but this time I want to make sure I don't say something insensitive.
Hopefully he won't have MS and this is all for not but just in case, has anyone any advice I'm sure this is all pretty silly but I want to make sure what I say is graceful, not insensitive. I am trying to do this before I get bad news because I am sure to become very emotional and I don't want to brake down in hysterics over the phone, it would really upset him.
Has anyone given you advice through a tough time like this? If so what gave you comfort.

*A note please we are not religious people so any references to religion will not help. (no offense)

orion52

Asked by orion52 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Health

• Just make sure he knows you are their for him know matter what the results are. (thats what I would do)

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My mother, best friend's mother and many others I know have been suspected of having MS, it's their go to when they don't have a clue about certain symptoms so tell him to stay calm. Also MS is different with different people, it's possible that it will progress so slowly they literally won't even notice it, it doesn't have to even mean big changes to their life. If I were you I'd research it and make sure you know what he may go through just so you're well versed.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• There are wonderful support groups for people with MS. He needs to find a specialist who will help him find (for lack of a better word) an MS mentor

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• if he has it you could joke that he qualifies for medical mj now...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011