how to get a one 18 month old and a 3 year old to

how to get a my boyfriends son who is 18 months old and my 3 year old to share toys and stop fighting. my daughter loves the littl boy but when ever she even puts her hands on him he freaks. and when ever the 18th month old trys to play with one of her toys she grabs it ftom him and say's no and he freaks. its the 3 year old home. we really wanna fix this problem becuase when ever me and m boyfriend re together all we are doing is disciplining the children. and we get really stressed out an start fighting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can't really do anything too much them right now except just keep repeating. toddlers are not one for sharing. just have to keep repeating and they will eventually get it. my daughter everything is hers. she says mine mine all the time. she likes to share when she wants to but most kids i think at their age do not. maybe the 3yr old will understand more then then the 18month old but its not really a displining problem. sometimes what we do is buy the same toy for both kids. that is what we have always done with my nephews. they are very close in age and they get the exact same toy most of the time.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It takes time. Just keep showing them how to ask nicely (say please) when they want something. Have the one who grabbed the toy hand it back to the one who had it. Remind them to share. Just keep at it, demonstrate how to be kind, reinforce it by acting it out, maybe even make a game of handing toys back and forth with a little treat shared after a while.

micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• First off, you and your boyfriend need to be on the same page about how to discipline both kids. You both need to keep reinforcing good behavior, praise them when they are being good. You can also try to distract one when they are 'fighting' get them to play with something else.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2011