allowances?

how much do you give your children as an allowance? and how often? and what are their chores to earn it? and ages of children.
mine are 8 and 9 and I give them $5 a week if they do their chores. which is cleaning/keeping their room clean, unloading dishwasher, feeding the cats, and bringing their dirty laundry down.

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 10:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think what you are doing now is just fine.
    Kara.l

Answer by Kara.l at 10:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• This sounds very good. I would suggest that they have to save a portion of it. It is important the children learn early to put aside a portion of their money for another time. Money is not just there to be spent and used up. Future plans have to be addressed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• When my older girls - now 21 and 19 - got an allowance it was $1.00 per day for each chore they did so they had the opportunity to earn what they wanted. If there was something they really wanted to buy, they worked harder to earn the money. The twins are 4 right now so I don't give them an allowance, but they will have the same opportunity as the older girls did when they turn 6, that is when I started giving the allowances.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I tried allowances in various of ways. and i found that when i gave my kids allowances, it only taught them to be greedy & it also gave them the wrong idea that they can't do nothing for anybody unless they get something in return. It also made so much of a fuss every week, because my daughter thought if she done dishes one time, or just picked up her room one time a week, she should get a whole week's allowance. Caused alot of fuss between us. and i tried just giving them allowance for good behavior. That worked best for me. Kids bicker & fight all the time, and it was worth it to me to give them a little allowance to keep the fighting down and keep them from being so loud & rowdy, to me that was worth more than getting a little work out of them.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I just started this with my 7 year old. If he does his chores, he will get $5 a week.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I do allowances now but didnt always. I give my 10 yr old differing amounts depending on the week. Usually between $10-$20 a week. My 5 yr old gets $5 a week.

Answer by gemgem at 10:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011