How do I dispose of my bible?

I was given a Catholic Bible before my Daddy died in 2000, I had it laid out on the D/R table where I had pressed some roses from his funeral in. Well, a big cup of water was spilled on the table and I didn't notice til the next day! I tried drying it out and I put it away. It has mold on it but I tried to dust it off and tear out the blank pages at the end but it still has mold and I don't want to keep it in the house any longer. I have had it for the past 8 years! How does one dispose of a Catholic Bible respectfully??????????

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 2:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow that is a tough one, I would ask God to help you out and he will guide you and give a sign. I personally would have a hard time disposing of it but if you really look at it is a material thing and when we die we do not take nothing with us. So I would say a prayer and just throw it in the trash I mean what else can you do. I don't believe you want to donate it because if you don't want it what makes you think someone else would. Just buy a new one and write stuff in there that will honor your dad's memory and you just want to get a fresh clean start I am sure your dad will appreciate. Besides God knows you did not destroy the bible on purpose he knows what your intentions are. so don't worry about it and buy a new bible.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• 1.Preserve it. If the Bible has special significance to someone but the book is worn out or too fragile to use, consider the value of the book; perhaps it should be preserved as a family heirloom. You would not throw away a book that contains family birth, marriage and death records for several generations.
    2.Bury it. If the Bible has been blessed by a priest or minister but you still want to discard it, you should consider a sacred burial. You may also want to consider asking your priest to perform a liturgy for the burial. In turn, your priest may consider collecting a quantity of discarded Bibles and performing one ceremony for all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• 3.Recycle it. If the book is damaged and no longer readable, such as water damage, consider if it has no other value, then it may be discarded as other books and papers. It can be recycled so that it is not found in a landfill or burn pile. Wrap the Bible in plain paper and put it in your recycle bin for collection with other papers or magazines.
    Anonymous

• If it is really special to you and you wish to keep it, there is a place in Mississippi that restores Bibles. I have the information somewhere, but I found it on the internet. You might try Googling "Bible Restoration."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• burn it.
    Anonymous

• If it has no significant sentimental value, dump it in the recycle bin. Or a trash can. It doesn't matter which. Paper decomposes pretty fast. It's only a book after all. But if it holds sentimental value look into the restoration process. Sometimes it can be "saved".
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You can give away a bible or have it restored. There are no Caholic "laws" about how to dispose of it, but usually special/blessed objects like a bible or a blessed rosary are disposed of by either burning or burying it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Great answers, I should have mentioned to you that it has no sentimental value and I took the pressed flowers out. I just thought it was disrespectful to "toss it". As for the mommy who said keep it, I really can't, it has too much mold that hs only spread. I personally look forward to asking for a new one for Christmas! I just started practicing my Catholicism again a few years ago and look for to having a new one to leave for my son.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• just throw it out and get a new one. one that is legible
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 5:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2008