When should I trade in the diapers for underwear?

I want to skip pull-ups. When is the best time to start putting my 22 month old in underwear? He peed for the 1st time last night and has a "general" idea of what the potty is for. He is also aware of when he poos and he "grabs" himself when he pees.

cubby15

Asked by cubby15 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't push the issue with my boy. I think waiting is better than trying too soon and get the child stubborn and un-cooperative. I started potty training my son (3 next week) about 3 months ago and he is now completely potty trained. I do however put pull-ups on him at night so if he does wet I won't have to to change sheets and child in the middle of the night. Also buy about 20 pairs of underwear. In the beginning I went through 5 or 6 a day. He got the hang of pooping about a month after he started peeing into the toilet. I didn't use a potty just a step stool for the john.
    Ladyhawke

Answer by Ladyhawke at 2:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Go for it, it sounds like he may be ready. Try it out and see how it goes, if you don't make any progress then back off. However If he isn't staying dry at night yet I would recommend undies just during the day, until he is dry all night. Then begin with undies after like a week of night time dryness. Good Luck!!!!!
    Deanna14

Answer by Deanna14 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think it depends on the child because my daughter is 2 1/2 and still isn't trained. She went in the mornings there for a few weeks but then started freaking out when it came time to potty. so i stopped pushing her. now she tells me everytime she has already gone poo or pee which irritates me lol!! But good luck!
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 2:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Why not use the cloth training pants instead of the Pull-Ups? The look just like underwear. They are just more absorbent in case there is an accident. That's what I'm using for my daughter.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Well, that would probably be ok...I am wanting to SKIP pull-ups...so anything washable would be a GO!! lol
    cubby15

Answer by cubby15 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Skipping pull-ups is a good idea. Most kids think they are diapers.
    Just teach your son how to remove his diaper. It's easy enough. They you can help him put it back on when he's done using the potty.
    Once he is using the potty well and his diaper stays dry three days in a row, switch to undies during the day.

Remember, night-time training is a whole different task. Keep putting him in diapers until he is dry 5 mornings in a row. You might consider putting him in pull-ups at night when he switches to undies in the day so he is "all done" with diapers in his mind. Either way, just let him know that he may still wet the bed in his sleep for a couple of more years and that it is OK.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I don't want to use Pull-Ups either. It's just a diaper! How is that helping? That's why we're using cloth training pants. I'm not going to use regular big girl undies until I know she's got the potty training down!
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 4:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• It all depends on the amount of time you're willing to put into training him, and if he's even interested in trying. My son just turned two. He is very interested in peeing in the potty (would go every five minutes if I let him), but has yet to poop. If you're willing to be patient and use cloth training pants straight away instead of pull ups, then go for it. The convenience of pull ups is that you can use them even if he's already wet them once, but are faster to take off and back on when he feels the urge to go. If he still has frequent accidents after the first few days, hold off on training him for awhile longer. If you start too soon, you'll just frustrate both you and your son.
    Good luck!
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 9:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i have to agree with some of the moms here. It all depends on your child. If he wants to go use the potty that is great and tell him "WTG" and "Good Job" or "YAY!!" dont force it. I didnt use Pull-ups with either of my girls... to me its like a diaper. with my 1st child i ranout of diapers one night so i just put her to bed with out one and she stayed dried all night... when i got diapers the next day and put her to bed with one on she was soaking wet in the morning. I stopped the following night with the diapers. I did the same thing with my youngest who is 2 and a half yrs old. Plus when i was starting with the training i woke her up every so often and put her on the potty and she has been out of diapers since she was 2. Good luck with what ever you try!
    mish_1125

Answer by mish_1125 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i say at a year thats what we did with our boy
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2008