do you think a 13 year old who commits murder should be tried as an adult ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There has to be so many variables. This cannot be answered casually.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would like to say no, but it really depends on the whole situation. I highly doubt a 13 year old boy who could kill someone would grow up to become a normal person in society.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My first reaction is yes. Though the common school of thought is that a 13 yo doesn't long range plan a 13 yo completely understands right and wrong. They know killing another human is wrong. That 13 yo has probably been schooled (at school by peers) in the Juvenal system, sealing of youth records, claiming some kind of abuse, single parent excuse, claiming mental issues........thinking this will keep him/her from adult prison. Most of our kids in middle school know more about the judicial system then we do. Keeping that in mind, I would really have to know the particulars of the case.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It depends on the 13 yo, and the situation. In some cases I think absolutely, in others I don't.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• it depends. Was he defending himself or just murder out of cold blood?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i think it needs a harsh punishment but not the same as an adult - their brains arent finished developing... esp the frontal lobe that controls that impulsiveness we see in teens... he/ she would need serious therapy - prolly a mental hospital imo... because if you killed someone when you were that young - you are going to be messed up... i dont think we can let it go... but i dont think you can blame someone the same way when they are a kid and a product of their upbringing.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• They get charged as adults depending on circumstances.

Answer by older at 10:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No! Place him in a juvenile facility until he turn 18, then try him as an adult, but I don't think the law works that way.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• In MOST cases of a pre-meditated attack, I would say yes....whereas in a case of self-defense, no! HOWEVER, there is A LOT of gray area in between!!

Did the child have DOCUMENTED mental health issues and/or a diagnosis? Did the child know right from wrong, and understand the implications of his/her actions? Did "the system" fail this child?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• This makes me think of a recent case where a 12 year old planned his step-dad's murder because he wanted his parents to get back together. (Maybe that's what spawned this question, I don't know). Just like with almost anything, everything is situational. If the murder was premeditated, planned out and devised, then yes. The kid should be tried as an adult. He/she knew full well what he/she was doing: ending another person's life. If it was out of self-defense or an accident? Well that's a little different and obviously the circumstances would have to be taken into consideration.
    kaseyp84

Answer by kaseyp84 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011