S/O of Tylenol Recall question

My answer to that question was a couple of pages in so I thought I'd spin it in another direction and see what happened.
My answer - "This new law that gives them more power to ask or force companies to remove pharmaceuticals, vitamins, make up and other items is doing just what I thought it would. It's raising the cost of these items and it's given the government more power over these companies. I nor any of my family or friends that I know of have ever been affected by a drugstore item that was on a recall list for whatever reason. This recall also sounds to have a bit to much of a "just in case" situation. You do realize every drug, every vitamin and even every kind of make up you use COULD have some kind of flaw in the process of making or delivery? If there is a real substantiated danger to people it should be recalled but these possibly and just in case situations will serve to only raise costs and do damage to a companies reputation. I think it all stems from the government not wanting business to be "too big" and lucrative."

I think (and I see some of you have)that if you are worried when you see these big name company recalls that you should just stop using the drugs at all because the processes are the same, in fact some of these name brands are made by these same companies for these stores.
I think for the most part, this is all part of the governments wishes to control what businesses do, how much they make or how "big" they get as well as how we run our lives. They have now decided they need to change the composition of otc and prescription drugs with acetaminiphen in them because you use to much of it and as most know, it can affect the liver if misused. The old standards that have been made after studies are now subject to change on a whim(no real studies).
Thoughts on the whole situation?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont think we can trust companies - who's goal is the bottom line profit - to do the "right thing" sure they dont wanna kill their consumers... but i do think they need standards... since the great depression there has been laws against monopolies - but how many choices do YOU have for electic ?? i only have one - gas is better.. but i also agree that i am not sure that the gov is capable of the task.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The affects of OTC meds on the body are very real and have been known for a long time. Take a Psychopharmacology class and you will have a HUGE eye opener. Some of the OTC drugs are harder on the body than street drugs (drugs like Tylenol and Advil, especially). Tylenol type drugs can ruin your liver if over used and taken for too long. Advil type drugs can cause internal bleeding of the stomach if used in correctly and too long. It's not about the government controlling anything, it is about the government trying to save lives.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• OP--I think your argument is plausible! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Point taken tyfry but have you not heard "anything in excess is bad for you"? It's a true statement. The government cannot save the world from everything that might or might not happen in any situation. We have seen salt reduced and even removed from usage, sweet drinks banned in places, new sin taxes here, there and everywhere and now they are going after drugs that have and will help many people just because they don't like the odds. The so called odds have been studied and approved by the government after much care. There are regulations now but this government wants more power to make the decisions on a whim. It's well known that Asprin can cause stomach irritation and it is well known that some drugs can affect the the liver. You hear this constantly and it's up to you to heed those warnings. I don't believe the big pharmaceuticals are only out to make money at the expense of the people they are supposed to help.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• They have been giving warnings for years. I know I'veb een aware of them since I was in high school and that was 20 years ago, those warning could have been out for longer. It it a person's choice to heed them or not. I, for one, heed the warnings and only medicate when absolute necessary. If one chooses to NOT heed the warnings the government should not take the choice away from those of us who do. They should also not allow those idiots who choose not listen to sue. BUT, since people choose not to listen, the government needs to get involved.
    So
    If people would stop being stupid, the government might be able to get out of our lives.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have never known anyone effected by any recalled products. The only issues stemmed from the Tylenol murders in the 80's and that wasn't the fault of the manufacturer.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We typically only use meds. if someone has a high fever since my one Son has seizures we have to watch temps. Otherwise I believe in building up your immune system. Yes I vac. but that is it. No flu shots no drugs (except seizure med), no aspirin. Nothing. You know how often we get sick. 1-2 x a year. Maybe. Never had the flu. None of us.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2011