I need help decluttering. How do you do it?

Our attic is so stuffed. I need to get rid of stuff. How do you do it? I especially have problems with old diaries of mine. Keep or throw out? I never read them. Some are 16 years old. And I don't ant anybody else to read them either. How long do you keep your children's art work? And what about all the iddy-biddy thingies and figurines that are stored in boxes for years now, because all they do on a shelf is gather dust? What about ONE box for memorabilia. Anything that doesn't fit in ... Out! I need to get started on this.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Step one define the room you plan to work on first.
    Step two stay in that room until it has been completly cleaned
    Step three grab bags for garbage and have them in the room with you
    Step four grab all cleaning matrials and take them with you. Spend less time runnning back and fourth and more time delcutering
    Step five gather boxes or totes or laundry baskets lable them "keep" "donate"
    step 6 start at one point in the room such as a desk and clear the whole space moving in a clock wise direction.
    step 7 The keep basket need to be gone through and things need dusted and placed nicly back where they go.
    Step 8 take the donation box to the good will or where ever right away bc if you dont you will find your self going through it pulling stuff back out.
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• When you find out, let me know. lol
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Keep a few favorite art pieces, then take a picture of the remainder. I would keep the diaries. The other little things, throw out or donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Have a rummage sale and make a little extra money. I just did that with my house and I threw out about 40 bags of garbage and I am not done yet. It feels so good to get rid of stuff that I don't need or haven't used in years.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I look at the stuff and if I have not seen it for three months or used it I donate it or trash it. If you make three piles and get rid of stuff you may need but do not have a specific reason for it you get rid of it by sale, donation or trashing it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Ask yourself a few questions while sorting your items: Do I really need this item? When was the last time I used this? Am I keeping this purely for its sentimental value? Can somebody else get more use out of this?
    Make up your mind quickly. Don't spend too much time sorting each item as you will probably keep more than you should. If you haven't used it in the past year and/or someone could get better use out of it, donate it. If it is broken, pitch it.
    Set schedule to declutter once a month. This will keep the clutter at bay while ensuring a more peaceful and clean living space.
    Celebrate a job well done!

Read more: How to Declutter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2048892_declutter.html#ixzz1BDM839YK
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree with Snewo, I just hired extra storage space. (bad me!)
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Burn the diaries. Stuff you can sell. Have a yard sale. Or donate it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would make a picture with some of their art a collage and burn the diaries.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• sweepingIm in the exact same boat with you. This is what I know. Create box's one to keep, one to toss and one for goodwill. ONLY touch an item one time. You arent allowed to move it to a think about it pile. There is no think about it pile. This way it keeps you moving and keeps you organized, cause I hate decluttering more then anything and I get overwhelmed very fast. Set your watch, give yourself an hour to start in. Then take a short break to use the bathroom, get a drink etc,,,then back to work. Good luck with this, Im trying to talk myself into a project right now. At least you already have the motivation to do it,,,

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Diaries keep.
    Art work from kids Lay out and take digital pictures and store on a thumb drive
    Little things Most is junk Let it go.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2011