Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

do u have Indian in your background ?

i heard that if you had a certain percentage of Indian in your heritage then ALL of your college education will be paid for by the government. So how do u find this out, have your blood tested or what ?

Answer Question

Asked by mistik75 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

Level 15 (2,016 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • If you suspect you do, try doing a study of your ancesters.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 10:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • No I don't but my son has like like 1/16th or something like that. I know this from his dad's grandpa who said he was some Indian. I wouldn't know other then through Genealogy how you would find out


    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • No,not me
    Here you have to be at least 25% Native American to qualify

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • yes :) My great great Grandma was Sioux indian. My husband has apache Indian.

    Answer by Precious333 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • and btw... you need a certain percentage of IOndain and for most grants you also need to be a member of a tribe.

    Answer by Precious333 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • You have to be 1/18th Indian to possibly get benefits. YOU have to have the proof and that will take lots of reasearch on your part. My son is enough Indian to get benefits but his biofather and grandfather don't know what tribe. Yeah, give me a break, they just don't want me to know.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • I believe you have to be AT LEAST 1/8th, which is a grandchild of a full blooded indian. I would imagine you'd need if you can do some research or if you have some documentation of it, then you could! I also believe not ALL colleges/universities are may just be the state run colleges/universities.
    my friend's daughter is 1/8th and lived in CA, and instead of a free education, decided to go to the East coast to attend Boston University and didn't get her education paid for because she went there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • you have to be a member of a tribe and atleast 1/8th, i'm 1/16th so didn't qualify and not part of a tribe lol

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • majority of us do. american indians are actually asians who migrated to the americas a very long time ago. i saw it on discovery where thousands of people from all over the world gave DNA samples in order to determine human migration patterns. american indians came from asia , so basically they are direct descendants of the asians. i can still see the similar features when comparing asians and american indians. i think its interesting....

    Answer by gwen20 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • I am 1/16th, but we don't have a roll number, which is what you need to get Indian benefits. However, my adopted brother is 1/562nd (yes, that is a three digit number) and because he has a roll number he was considered an Indian child which caused all kinds of grief for my parents when they wanted to adopt him. That number is what you need, not just a background.

    Answer by scout_mom at 11:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.