Did I mess up my milk supply?

I got a breast pump yesterday and used it twice, I got about 3oz the first time and about 2.5 the second time. I tried pumping today and nothing is really coming out of either breast. Did I do something to mess up my milk supply?

Rileysmommy22

Asked by Rileysmommy22 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think so, you may not be letting down for the pump. Try feeding baby one one breast and pumping on the other breast.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, the more u pump, the more your supply should come in!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 1:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• How do I get more milk to come out? I tried pumping while the baby was feeding but it really didnt help. I even tried to pump after a warm shower.
    Rileysmommy22

Comment by Rileysmommy22 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Pumping first thing in the morning on the opposite breast during babies first nursing session will get the most milk. You probably aren't letting down for the pump, which is totally normal. Some women just can't letdown for the pump by it self. Pumping while baby nurses will catch the letdown baby induces... they don't always get a letdown at every feeding, though, so that may be why it didn't work when you tried.

My first nursed so frequently he never really got letdowns and I was never able to pump much more than .5/oz. He never took a bottle either, though, so I soon found that pumping was moot.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Some women just don't have good pump output. Sometimes it depends on the time of day. Are you pumping for a particular reason, or just because? What are your needs, in terms of pump output? The more info, the more specific advice you can get :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011