Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I set up a living will to ensure the correct placement of my son?

I am pregnant with my first child, and I am due December 10th. I'm trying to set up a living will so that in the event that something happens to me after he's born, my son will go to the right person. I don't know where to go to set this up, but I know that it's somewhere in the local courthouse. Does anyone have any ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by Preggerdoodles at 2:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • There are definitely legal forms you can fill out to do this, but a court does have to consider ANYTHING you have written down that expresses your wishes, even if its in poor grammar on the back of a napkin. Until you find the exact forms you're looking for, be sure your intentions are written down somewhere. Mine is written on my power of attorney that our grandfather paid his lawyer to do for all the grandkids was an amazing gift, its all just words though. You could type up the same thing and have it mean just as much.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

  • Are you giving the baby up for adoption? If your plan is to keep the baby and something happened to you while in labor the father would have the option of getting the baby. If you are giving it up for adoption the father still has to give up his rights after it is born. So, if your going to give it to anyone it will still be up to the father.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.