What is the right age for your child to start pre-school???

I wrote a post over the weekend about my 3 yr old,that just started school with in the same week he took sick, he had an asthma attack. so my question was ,is it possible that being away from me and missing could have brought that on.You see he has never been away from me he goes everywhere with me,but he keep talking about going to school with his sister and getting homework and other stuff like that and on the frist day he seem fine when i pick him up in the afternoon he was happy the next day he was good again so I really don't know, but since he was sick he said mom I don't every want to leave you again I'm not going back to school.So when I wrote the post 2 moms responed that it was to early for him to start school what do you guys think????/

jesse476

Asked by jesse476 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd was 2 when i started working at a pre school so i took her with me (free of charge) she was ok most of the time, i could see her from the class i had so i was ok too, it helped with her potty training too...my ds on the other hand, if i go back to work i'll wait until he's 3 or 4 before i send him...dd will be 6 or 7 by then
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Every child is different, usually by the time they are potty trained and over 3 they are ready. Not all kids are though! Use your best judgment, if you are concerned wait a few months and try again.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Since pre-school is not mandatory, I say keep him home and work with him. There are some great web sites for pre-schoolers and you can get workbooks from any bookstore or school supply store. You do not want him hating school when he does have to go to grade school unless you plan on home schooling.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 11:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Mine started at 3 for half days until they got use to it, but every child is different.

Answer by older at 11:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Both of mine went 2 days a week at the age of 3 and then when they turned 4 they went 3 days a week.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• my step daughter went at 3 and LOVED it. My parents thought it would be good to put me in preschool and I lasted a week. lol Perhaps he can go one or two days a week until he gets more comfortable. I guess its sort of bargaining if he will....you go this many days and you can stay home w me this many days. I dunno. I'm a softy. I wouldn't make my kid go if he/she were hanging on screaming even if it probably was really good for them to start making friends and preparing for real school. good luck :)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My oldest started at 3, my 2nd son and my daughter started at 2, so no I don't think it was too early. I think it's good for them to get some time away from mom.

Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I work in preschool, it take about 2-3 weeks on average for a child to get used to a school schedule. It's better on them if you separate quickly. Tell them you love them,, hug and kiss them, tell them you will be back, and they will have fun, and either hand them to the teacher, or sit them down and go. I know it's hard, but if you do this, it will get easier. And the asthma attack could be the different environmental factors at the preschool.(different cleaning products, different lotions and perfumes, carpet as opposed to tile or hardwood) It also helps with transitions for them to be on an everyday schedule. I know alot of people just do a few days a week and for some children that works, but if they have a hard time, it could be that they need a more structured daily schedule to feel comfortable.The benefits of the social interaction, and preparing them for big school is worth it.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• all of these answer have been a great help to me thanks a lot to all the moms
    jesse476

Comment by jesse476 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son turned 3 in October. He will be going to preschool in the fall. After this current school year, he still has 2 more years before he can go to kindergarten so we figured that waiting until next school year for preschool just made sense. I think if your son just started school, he will need some time to adjust and get used to going to school.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 1:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011