DID YOU KNOW?

Congress has not made an official language for US???

lacyjay1987

Asked by lacyjay1987 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yup...melting pot.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• laughingYes they have, its called, "pig latin", and they use it every single day to confuse us

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 11:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• clapping

misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I feel silly.. I just assumed the language was english.. hmmm.......
    lacyjay1987

Comment by lacyjay1987 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i would have thought it would have been English also. I have also heard that Spanish will someday be right up there with English
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• There never has been a official language for the US.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If there is no official language then WHY are all building, business (except in culturally rich communities) and road/street signs as well as legal documents, written in English?!

Why do other industrialized countries teach their students ENGLISH?! Why do international pilots and businessmen learn English?! Because it is the "standard" language that allows for international and inter-commerce communications!!

When I have traveled to other countries where English was not the primary language spoken there was no mistaking that I needed to figure out the language FAST or find someone who could interpret the language for me!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• P.S. I KNOW English is not the official language of the US...just posing questions for thought!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would call it the unofficial language of the USA..... Australia and other UK countries have English and when the Pilgrims came that was the language they spoke until Noah Webster changed it with his dictionary. Here is the story it tells it better than I can http://www.yaelf.com/history.shtml

(scroll down to The History of American English

Aparently UK 's english language is also not official.  You will see that mentioned as well .. at the beginning of the website

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011