making teens do the things they dont want to

Well today is one of those days where I have to be the enforcer. Im making my 16 & 14 yr olds go to their baby sisters soccer game (sis is 9). I know neither of them want to but this is the last game of the season and I dont know that she is good enough to make the team next year. So this could be her last game for a long while.

She always had to go to their games because she was so young... I think it is fair that they go to hers and cheer her on.

How often do you have to make your teens do 'family' things... and how do they react???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Well I just told the 14 yr old.... he said ok with a sigh... but asked if he could have his IPod on while watching. LOL... he is SO into his music.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My 13 year old has a basketball game every Sunday and I make the other boys go with me too. They usually sigh just like your 14 year old did, but they go and cheer him on. Once they are their they enjoy watching the game.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 11:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My youngest is 5 and does baseball and cheer. Her siblings are 10, 17, 18 and 22. I dont make the teens go at all. I have found taking them to see her cheer or play isnt worth it. They complain, wander around, ask for money to eat tons of candy or drinks, and it just isnt worth it to me or my dd. Instead we take other family like cousins and aunts who WANT to be there. But thats just how I do it regarding games and such.

Answer by gemgem at 11:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I didnt make them go to every game of the season... just the first and now the last. I think they NEED to show support for the success of a sibling. I think it behooves them as family to show interest and support.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't believe people need cheering on if they are in a game that's important enough to what is in the plan that day, than go that way, they don't really need cheering ''on''.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• anon... your answer was a bit confusing.

I did not pull my older kids away from something importantto cheer on their sister.  But to show support to a family member I believe IS important.  It is true my younger one will probably not even hear them when they are on the side lines... but I know for a fact that she will remember them being there when she thinks back.  It is that feeling inside that you are important enough to your siblings that they would come be there for you... it is THAT feeling I want my kids to remember when they are adults.  If they feel important to each other NOW Im sure they will be more likely to support each other as adults.... specially when Im gone.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It is Not going to Kill them- i think it is important to do things like that sometimes- she will probably have a great game with them there Cheering her on!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I understand what your saying, but for us I dont make them. I have had the very same argument with my teens so I feel ya lol. I just pick and choose my battles with mine.

Answer by gemgem at 11:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It is called being a part of the FAMILY!! Doesn't matter how old they are, if they aren't working, they should be participating in family events including going to a sibling's sporting event.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well my son got out of it because we had a contractor not show on time and someone needed to be home to let him in. My daughter was there and my little one REALLY appreciated it... and even asked where her brother was. boo hoo.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011