If your child makes two D's or below what do you do?

sheer_heart

Asked by sheer_heart at 12:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd make an effort to check on his work and make sure understands the work and what he's doing. If he's really struggling and not just fooling around then I'd speak w/his teacher as see where you can go from here. Maybe after school help, a tutor, or is it him? Most likely you won't get the truth from your child unless you really know and trust him, if so and he's fooling ard, ground him. Take away privledges until the grades come up and have the teacher send a progress report if you don't want to wait for a marking period. You can ALWAYS converse with the teachers, no so much your kids.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• provide tutoring for him.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• What grade are they in? You stay on top of it throughout the semester - was he doing okay at the time interims came out? When they brought home their tests, were the grades on them low?
    If my kid made Ds then I would ground them because it would be due to lack of effort - my kids are intelligent and have tons of resources at their disposal. There's no reason to ever get a D. If their grades ever slip below a B (they've always made all As to this point), then I would immediately put an action plan into place: tutoring, extra study time, etc to prevent them getting a D.

Answer by missanc at 12:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• He is in the 4Th grade. He had a great midterm and his report card showed two D's, two A's and two B's. One C. I think he just stopped caring because it was right before Christmas. He is in tutoring now. However, I feel he is capable of doing his work better. I feel as if he has gotten lazy.

sheer_heart

Comment by sheer_heart (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Oh, they say kids do have a down fall right around/after the Holidays, I'd just keep on him and give him a litle extra help and see that he gets back on track.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My boys are still in elementary so I don't think its gotten too hard for them yet. But I would recommend a tutor. My mom just beat me until I bled on my books and then told me to lie and tell the teacher I had a nose bleed....Not good parenting.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2011