bleeding at 18 weeks

ok so a few nights ago I asked on here about cramping, and I decided to stay home and call my Dr. the next morning. They said it was normal ligament stretching and not to worry. Well this morning I woke up and had some bleeding, not pink spotting but red-dark red and very small clots. (less then the size of a penny) I called the Dr. right away and they said I was probably safe to wait until tomorrow to come in for an office visit, but I can't stop thinking about all the things that could be going wrong. After I showered the bleeding seemed to slow down (almost non-existent now.) Would you wait till tomorrow, or go in to the ER anyways? I still have some cramping but its not new to this morning, I've been cramping at varying pain levels all week.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would go to the ER.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would go to the ER as well. Brown or light pink blood in small amount is okay, but dark red blood with clots and a lot of it, paired with cramping, is not normal. I am surprised your doctor said you didn't need to come in. I'd go to the ER.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I am the kind of person that would lean towards waiting. Sadly there is nothing they can do and I avoid the ER at all costs. It does not sound like an abnormally large amount of bleeding and is quite common. As it a bit of clotting. It makes us all panic, I know I have had similar with each one of my healthy pregnancies. Just keep an eye and head in if you have a substantial amount that will fill a pad.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Me I would go to the E.R. But if you decide to wait I would suggest putting yourself on bed rest until you get in to see the doctor. Red blood and clots can be bad as well as the cramping But like a pp said if it is a miscarriage there is nothing that can be done to stop it. Just do what will make you feel more comfortable. Good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You can go to the ER, but your doc is right. There is nothing they can do for you in the ER other than do an US and tell you if baby is okay. You'd be best to put yourself on bedrest today, lay around the house, watch movies, veg out- and go see your doctor tomorrow. If you do go to the ER, they're going to make you wait, then do an ultrasound, and you'll still have to go see your doctor tomorrow. The ER won't change the outcome.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 3:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I decided to go in for peace of mind, our ER waiting isn't too bad. Turns out the baby is alive and moving :) , but my amniotic fluid levels were low, so I'm on strict bed rest till thursday when they're gonna do another ultra sound. I'm glad I went in, thanks for the advice!
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011