Megaesophagus

One of our dogs has Megaesophagus. She's fine and we have a routine and we haven't had any problems. I was just curious if there were any other dog mommas out there who has a dog with Megaesophagus.

kaseyp84

Asked by kaseyp84 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pets

• What is that?? I have dogs. I have not heard of that. Please explain.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Megaesophagus is when the dog's esophagus is enlarged, causing the food to come right back up after ingestion. It's most common in larger breeds. Noella is a large breed mix (of some sort). In a normal x-ray, the esophagus shouldn't be seen. In Noella's it was between the size of a quarter and 50-cent piece. We have to grind up her food and add water, into a gruel-like mixture and feed her standing upright. We then have to hold her upright for about 5 minutes or so to make sure the food stays down. A lot of owners will build or buy a Bailey chair, to aid in the feeding process. It's basically a highchair for dogs that holds them upright. We were going to build one but never got around to it and the way we do it now is just part of our routine now. She's a normal dog other than having an enlarged esophagus.
    kaseyp84

Comment by kaseyp84 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It can be a little scary because dogs with Megaesophagus can inhale as they're eating so if food gets in her lungs (or water) she can develop pneumonia, which can be dangerous. We haven't had a problem with that though, thankfully. Other than being slightly more high maintenance and changes to the feeding routine, she's pretty normal. Hyper and crazy. She's a big goofball, but extremely intelligent. I wouldn't have it any other way. =) I adopted her from my friend (a year ago this weekend actually) who couldn't care for her. She didn't know about ME at the time and was tired of cleaning up puke. She was kept in the cage all the time too because of the puke and she would pee when she was yelled at. She stopped peeing the same night with us. It's all in how you train them. <3
    kaseyp84

Comment by kaseyp84 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, but here's a bump (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• never heard of it before
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I hope you get help. Bump
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011