How can I get my 4 mo. old to be comfortable with his daddy?

He is exclusively breast fed. We try to do at least one or two bottles a week, sometimes less, sometimes more...but he never lets his dad feed him. He usually does okay being fed by a babysitter, and he will take a bottle from me. What can we do to get him to let dad feed and hold him without screaming uncontrollably?

lefultz87

Asked by lefultz87 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You just have to keep trying and I know hard work. Sitter if female than that is why more comfortable with her. Maybe have dad spend time with the baby and not just to feed. They will out grow it cause mine did.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't know...I mean he is only four months old right? Give it some more time. Right now you're breastfeeding him, and he know your touch and scent, maybe he's attached to you for now, just give it time.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have heard a mans voice can scare them. It is true. I would give it more time. u feed him and then let daddy have a little playtime or quiet time with him. See how that works for the baby.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son went through the same thing. He was EBF too. Until he was like 6 or 7 months old...he wanted NOTHING to do with my fiance. It did hurt my fiance's feelings but it was just a phase and he got over it. He probably does well with a babysitter because you are not around, but when you are around, he prefers you over anyone else. He might even be able to tell the difference in females and males. Your husband's voice is deeper and maybe even scary sounding to him. He is bigger and his skin might not be as soft. It really could be a whole variety of things. Just ease him in slowly and things will get better with time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• my children have never taken well to daddy feeding them. however daddy has always left a few weeks after birth too- try not to get discouraged.keep letting daddy try and feed, my SIL said that mommies have a certain smell about them that babies seem to be found of and come to recoqnize as the food lady.lol. daddys got a different smell i guess. ive just come to live with daddys for fun and mommies for food.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Is is spending more time with you and the babysitter than the father? Is the father interacting with him at times other than the feeding. Babies like warmth, comfort and being soothe.. is the father providing that?
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011