Is your daughter more of a girly girl or a tomboy? I need some advise.

....mine has 3 brothers she is 5, she tries to keep a balance between the two, but I try getting her into more girly stuff. But she tends to play with more of her brother's toys. I want her to play dress up, teacups, and Barbies but doesn't seem interested. She doesn't act like a boy but she doesn't like much of the things girls her age like, except for puppies. What else can I do??

babysavy9

Asked by babysavy9 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Let her play with what she wants to play with. I always preferred the boy stuff too because the boy toys are cools and the girl stuff generally sucks and doesn't do much. What's the big deal?
    Anonymous

• I have a 5 yr old dd with 3 older brothers too (and 1 sister whose in her 20s). I never really had the same problem. She does like to play with her 10 yr old brothers stuff, but she has her own things and some times I do get mad because she would rather play cow boy then barbie lol. What I did was get her into cheer leading with the optimist club, dance, and softball. She was able to meet other girls that way and they had a real effect on her. Shes into how she looks now, doing her hair, clothes, and still likes to play cowboys with her brother.

Answer by gemgem at 12:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Oh and before anyone says anything I dont get mad because she plays cowboys lol, I get mad because she begs for all this princess and barbie stuff then just lets it sit there.

Answer by gemgem at 12:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't see it as a big deal, and I don't force her to play with anything. She is free to choose, but I would like her to play with more girl things then boy things, since she is my only daughter and we can interact and share time together.
    babysavy9

Comment by babysavy9 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would let her play with what she wants, I agree with gemgem about getting her involved with groups that have other girls her own age.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• since she is my only daughter and we can interact and share time together.
    _______________-
    You can interact with the 'non girl' stuff as well. I was always more of a tomboy and my mom used to play wiffle ball with me, or cars, or build with blocks.
    However, I will admit, I LOVED dance class.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• She sounds like she's fine. If you want her to be more girly then show her how to wash dishes, mop floors, cook & clean while others play outside.
    Anonymous

• Nothing. So much of what people consider "girly" is very appearance based and inactive. I think that's a terrible way to want your kids to be. Girls have such self esteem issues nowadays. Always using looks for play probably has something to do with that. I encourage my 3 year old daughter to make play physically active and educational. She plays lots of sports and loves to wrestle. She often plays with her kitchen set, blocks, race cars, dolls, tools, crafts, costumes, puzzles, and dinosaurs. Pretty much anything goes if it isn't violent (no guns) or vein (no princess dresses or make up besides occasional nail polish). The same rules will apply to my son. All this "girly" vs "tomboy" stuff is really people made. Girls don't really have to care about how sparkly their tea set is and boys don't have to to be rough. If your child's play is active, friendly, fun, and educational or creative then you should be happy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I second that you don't need "girly" stuff to interact. I read with DD, do puzzles, play cards and board games, do workbooks, shoot basketballs, go to her football class, have pretend food, go bowling, race cars, draw, play baseball, play music, play hide and seek, ride bikes, play with our pets, will go to her dance class when it starts next month, and everything else. There's plenty to do besides eachother's make up or hair. She doesn't like having her hair done and having her nails painted isn't very fun.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If she is the only girl she may be bored playing alone or with mommy (no offense). She probably see's her brothers having lots of fun and want to join them. I dont think its anything to be worried about. My daughter is 3 the only child and shes a girly girl but I sure if I had sons and loads of boy toys she would be playing along with them. My cousin grew up a TOMBOY the girls in the family were older than her and all the boys were her age. She grew up into a beautiful young lady. She can hang out with boys with no problem and hangs out with females with no problems.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011