Relocation experiences?

I'm planning on packing up and selling my parents' home where they have lived for 52 years and moving all of us across the country. I have them and my 20 year old son. LMAO, I must be crazy!!! I moved myself across country once and moved back with my ex- and my son about 19 years ago.

So, where do I start now? Do you have any good advice? I'm trying to figure out costs, without giving my personal information to any specific company (I haven't found a way to do that yet) and I'm trying to figure out at what point to bring in a realtor here. We are expecting to do some major plumbing work and change the kitchen floor before the move happens.

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• With packing, I've always found that a big move is the best chance to purge myself of all the accumulated junk. But that means you have to start packing and sorting early. You've got to give yourself time to really go through everything and decide what you're getting rid of and what you will be moving with you. I also pack in a color coded system. I put strips of colored duct tape on the tops of the boxes. Hot pink is the stuff I'll need to be unpacked immediately (certain clothes, pots, pans, coffee pot, etc.). Teal tape is stuff I need, but don't need right away (the rest of the clothes, serving dishes, extra blankets, etc.). The yellow tape is for stuff that can be stored if need be. I never get around to unpacking everything right when I move, so it helps to know which boxes can sit in the basement for 6 months while I get settled. Chrome tape is for anything breakable. Packing well helps when you unpack.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 3:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011