Supporting friends

Has anyone ever supported their BFF in her decision to leave her horrible husband... and she ends up dating someone who just plain sucks? Their level of d-bagness is different, but sometimes I feel really bad for encouraging her to leave him since she's with this jerk now. But I also know she'd be miserable still if she had not separated.

kaseyp84

Asked by kaseyp84 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, and yes. But I tried warning her about the other guy as well and she has chosen to ignore my advice and has the mentality that she will never attract a non-a$$hole and like the situation she is in now so I have stopped trying to help her and backed out of her life.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• These are her choices, not yours

Answer by rkoloms at 1:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• These are her choices, not yours

• @Gnomeofmyheart: Maybe we're friends with the same person! She has adopted that attitude as well, that all men are evil and she deserves the way they treat her, etc. I try my hardest to help her see that she deserves happiness and love and that she doesn't deserve to be hurt.

@ rkoloms: I know they're her choices and not mine, that's quite obvious. I wasn't really asking for advice on what to do, I was asking if anyone had experienced something similar. I am still going to support her and be there for her, regardless of the situation she's in. They have a history together and she's loved him since high school. I just wish he would grow up and treat her how she deserves to be treated.
    kaseyp84

Comment by kaseyp84 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i would ask her what the point of leaving one asshole for another was? shes not gonna be happy either way. she might as well just stay single.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Well, I understand what you're saying, but there's a lot more to it than just that. He wasn't an asshole from the start, but he's been slowly showing his colors, so to speak. There's a lot of details I haven't mentioned, including why she married jerk #1 in the first place.
    kaseyp84

Comment by kaseyp84 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011