V-Day

What's your view on Valentine's Day? Is it a waste of time and money or something you enjoy participating in? Does your SO share the same POV?

kaseyp84

Asked by kaseyp84 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• DH and I don't do Valentine's day, at least not for each other. We usually get candy and a stuffed animal for each of the kids though. But we're weird, we prefer to do romantic stuff on a whim rather than set aside days, which means we really don't celebrate anniversaries either.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 1:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• DH and I haven't celebrated Valentine's Day in years!! lol But, before you think we're soulless non romantic people, we do have a reason! Our anniversary is on the 15th, so we celebrate it then. Everything is just so packed on Valentine's Day! It doesn't hurt anyone if we celebrate Valentine's Day on our anniversary!
    jalvarez626

Answer by jalvarez626 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• @ mandaday: Lol I wish we'd do more romantic things on a whim. We're trying though.

@ jalvarez626: I think that's sweet your anniversary is on the 15th and you combine it. Two for the price of one =D
    kaseyp84

Comment by kaseyp84 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Life is too short! How I learned that Battling Triple Negative Breast Cancer!! Take and make every chance you get to love and Enjoy! I Love Valentines' Day, Sweetest Day and any holiday.. Its not a Hallmark moment!! I Love Valentines Day! We decorate and do nice displays and what not.. From flags outside. To trees inside and each room is highly decorated for this holiday for Love!! DH made me a huge 9' foot light Red heart he puts out!!! In our radius window he puts valentines hearts up and lighted Cupids & lighted hearts!! In his shed outside. He has tiny light candles.. They all have Red or white Bulbs! Its very Pretty. He lost his job & our insurance 2 years ago.. My Cancer battle.. And now again his UEC is stopped. We do gifts of love by making and doing things!! I pull out old Valentines & display them too! Like the first one DH gave me while dating!! We met on Christmas Eve. He was 18 I was 16. Make memories. Enjoy!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My husband and I don't take it for granted. However we don't go way out either! We keep it very simple, he will buy me a card with balloons, a desert and flowers that's about it. One year I got a stuff animail, and then we watched a movie together at home and cuddled it was sweet, another year before that he proposed to me. But what truly matters is that your together :) I think it's sweet to go out for dinner when you see other couples, or to a movie, or even to a park just to take a walk and talk and spend time together. There is so much you can do. My husband and I aren't really into the whole lingerie thing never have been. So for him and I it works out great! :) he loves me, and I love him! We are parents we can't afford a tone. But we do like to take family vacations together with the kids. And alone to the beach once in a while.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 1:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think it's sort of a nice idea, but we don't really celebrate it. I used to love it, but after I started dating I never got anything, so now I'm just like, "Whatever," about it. My husband wouldn't know how to be romantic or something like that if he took classes on it for a decade, so why would V-Day be different lol? It would be nice to have a day every now and then where he did something nice/romantic/special, etc., though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i always love valentines day i think it is a nice day to spend with someone you love to give them candy & see there smile on there faces but for me ever since i started middle school i never got a flower or any balloons or any candy & i had a boyfriend he didnt get my nothing every year & then the same thing happened in highschool i had a boyfriend or just any friend i never got nothing no balloons or a flower i always was jealous for them but 1 day i did get something i was happy but i still felt not appreciated but i did buy my boyfriend something it was a nice card & a poem but i never got nothing ever again so i hate valentines day cause of it even my mom got flowers on vday but i got zero
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Both of us think it's a ridiculous waste of time, money and energy.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• Its a day to remember those you love. I do small special things for my husband, son my mom. We (my son and I) bake cookies and do fun things. You dont have to be sad if your heart was broken kids love this day and for me I find my son gets more into it. They do special things at his school too so of course I will celebrate. Its probably because my grandma and my mom always did the same and still do little cards and stuff for my son, my mom still bakes cookies for all of us (my sisters, hubbys, my son etc.) I guess we just love to express our love for each other. You all will think we are sappy and fake but its true evan if as an adult I might make cards.
    Have fun, the kids are only little for so long!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2011