Different between custodies....

I want FULL custody, but if I request that, does that automatically mean we can't set visitation times?I want full custody, but also want visitation times set in stone....

I don't want him to be able to make any decision when it comes to our children, legally that is. all i want him to have is visitation.

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have sole physical custody, and he has visitation only. I know it sounds bad but I told him he could have joint "legal" custody, and he thought that meant equal time.. Wrong, it only means he can help make legal decisions and nothing else. He lives in another state by his choice, and there was no way I was going to share equal time, running them back and forth over 200 miles.. He gets them on a set schedule, and if it doesn't work out then we discuss it. It's worked well for the past few years because I have the say so... I went with what was in the best interests of our boys, and they are stable and happy where they are, and that's what matters most.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes, visitation is still set with full custody. And unless he agrees to you having full custody or you have a valid reason why he shouldn't be involved in the decision making, the judge may not grant you full custody.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Unless you have some proof why he shouldnt have joint most judges always give joint. Joint means he has decision making abilities but you can fight to have something in the order saying if he doesnt act in a timely fashion you can make the decision with out him. If you do have something clear as to why you should have full custody it doesnt mean you are going to get visits set up, which is why its hard to get full custody. Joint custody allows visits though. Make sure you have drop off and pick up locations set in stone. Times. Who can assist in drop off and pick ups. No over night guests of the opposite sex unless related by blood or marriage. Holidays should be set in stone as well. Good luck.

Answer by gemgem at 1:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011