New information on possible negative side effects of EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding for 6 months

In an editorial published in the British Medical Journal, Dr. Mary Fewtrell, from the University College London Institute of Child Health, and colleagues argue that babies who are breastfed exclusively for six months are at a higher risk for iron deficiency and food allergies including celiac disease. They also suggest that waiting six months to introduce weaning foods can lead to the underdevelopment of taste, which might have long-term implications on diet.

"In the West, any proposed beneficial effects of exclusive breast feeding to six months on infection risk would need to be weighed against plausible, or at least suggestive, evidence for adverse effects," the authors reported.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm really confused here. Why did everyone who said breastfeeding is best get a vote down? Apparently someone isn't aware of scientific fact.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Horsefeathers.
    X-Acto-Girl

Answer by X-Acto-Girl at 1:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Someone is obviously feeling defensive about their formula feeding to go down-voting everyone. What a loser.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's cool, OP. I wasn't trying to bust your chops for posting. It's just Sundays are usually fairly quiet around here, so I wasn't sure how many responses you'd get, especially if it's already been discussed.
    Carry on, ladies!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Three of the 4 authors of the study work or have worked for the baby food industry. The study is biased.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think it is bunk, but that is just my opinion.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Nope, I still believe that breastfeeding is best for baby. There was a discussion about it the other day here, if you'd like to read the answers on that one in case you don't get a lot of feedback today
    http://www.cafemom.com/answers/705069/Is_breast_best_new_study_calls_current_wisdom_into_question_thoughts
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I missed that the other day. I just saw this on the news this morning and I was surprised by it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• vicesix
    I didn't down vote you. I'm sorry that someone did. It looks like someone is on a downvote kick on this. I honestly wanted opinions, not for people to trash each other. I just read through the other post. Thank you for the link.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's not just the breast feeding is best that got downvoted--even those who said it is plausible got a votedown. I think someone just went through and pretty much downvoted everything.
    A troll is trying to steal my post!!
    I really just wanted opinions, not bashing.
    Go away TROLL!!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011