I like the last question . So I am taking it a step further ; What is your definition of open mindedness?

I thought I was very open minded until I met some closed minded mothers. I guess the term "open minded "needs interpretation. My idea of open mindedness is acceptance of other peoples religions, beliefs, cultures, sexual preferences, and political views. What I 've come to realized is that I have no tolerance for people who are against all of those things. I also realized that there is thin and fuzzy lines between open mindedness and judgmental people. I must include accepting closed mined people in order to be truly open minded. So, maybe, I am no as open minded as I think. I was brought up in a very hippy, philanthropic, politically correct, and accepting environment In today's definition, I am out dated. It is more hip to be all about yourself and your immediate family, everyone else is an outsider and does not truly deserves help.If you can't pull your own weight, too bad " survival of the fittest".

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2011

• This is my problem emily.. I am often accused of being narrow minded as a Christian ( doesnt bother me) However it takes an open mind and heart to even walk the Christian faith. See how that works? I do not agree with homosexuality but that does not mean I hate homosexuals there is a HUGE difference. I am open minded toward them but I am not tolerant of the lifestyle they chose. People on welfare and foodstamps I have not had a problem with. They are trying to do whatever they can to survive. The ones I have problems with are the ones they abuse the system. I love the poor but do not tolerate abuse. Just because I do not tolerate certain things does not equate a closed mind. This is where I believe people are confused with that terminology.
    I am open minded to who the people are and intolerant of abuse and sin. I am grieved when someone says they hate gay people. That is wrong thinking and shows where the
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would guess none of us are as open minded as we would like to be and few of us are as open-minded as we claim to be ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Open mindedness to me is live and let live letting people agree to disagree.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Being open-minded means you accept the fact that other people may have opinions or beliefs that are different from yours & that's OK & that you are open to listening to those other ideas. However, deciding to reject those different ideas or beliefs & stick with your beliefs, does not then mean that you are then close-minded or a hater or ignorant. Being close minded means that you aren't even willing to listen to someone else's opinion & automatically consider them to be wrong simply because their opinion differs from yours.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Understanding that someone's value, intelligence, etc, aren't contingent upon their agreeing with you. Respecting that others will come to different conclusions, have different opinions and beliefs, that are just as valid and deserving of respect as your own. Not looking down on someone for thinking differently or refusing to consider the thoughts, opinions, beliefs, and even information that another has to offer, even if you disagree with them. A live and let live attitude that doesn't put other ways of living/believing/etc down. Its not just a tolerating kind of thing - I tolerate a toothache - its a kind of respect and support, if you get what I mean. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• "What I don't understand is, what if they believe in revenge killing, or pedophilia, or the devil as the higher power; or joining the KKK. Things that I was brought up as being clear cut wrong? "

Well there are things that are absolutely wrong, especially if those things are harmful towards other people (pedophilia, killing, etc). I don't think its intolerant to be "against" those kinds of negative things. Society as a whole looks down on things like killing, pedophilia, hate crimes (KKK) - that's why they're illegal in many places in the world. So I don't think that reflects an intolerance. I believe it reflects a connection to our own humanity, our ability to feel for our fellow man, to empathize and feel compassion, and understand that things that hurt our fellow man are things we just can't support...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I believe in being cautious and giving people time to show me who they are before I get all cute and cuddly with them. I believe in self-defense--screw the witch at your own peril. To me open-mindedness ISN'T instantly accepting EVERYBODY. It is being willing to listen to a logical argument and learn something new from it. There's the old saying that an open mind is one that is in danger of collecting a lot of JUNK.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Good answer pinkdragon. Your right.
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Receptive to new and different ideas or the opinions of others.

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011