What have you substituted for a Baby Diaper in a pinch?

I'm sure I can't be the only one!! I had my grandbabies over! It was a delight! But Lil needed a Diaper! I had new wipes I bought! Needed 9! I only had Preemie & new born diapers. 2 of each. If I ever have any pennies.. I save them and buy diapers for my DD. Well she took them all home. We have zero income here! NO one is employed., DD 's family too is down on her Luck! So I mean Baby was stinking! DH comments, worse then the Cat box. Since the 3 Chemos did in my hands & feet. This was Hard!! Luck with searching.. I found a sample Size:5! From '07' When the other Grand baby was born. Anyway.. I thought of what could I substitute? But had no diapers pins or the dexterity to use my hands to do that! What have you ever used instead of a a diaper? Thank you for sharing!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We hit a rough time a few years ago and couldn't afford diapers.  We had 2 in diapers at that time.  Oh wow, we used tshirts, towels, pillowcases, sheets, etc.  We used whatever we had.  It sucked but we did what we had to do.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• ive used burp clothes in a pinch. there basically like cloth diapers, or a hand towel, or reciving blanket could work well..
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Oh, and we didn't have pins or anything either, we just tied everything on the sides.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Back in the dark ages when my first was born we had no washer and disposables weren't yet invented. I had to resort to hand towels, receiving blankets and tea towels until my load of hand-washed diapers was dry.
    X-Acto-Girl

Answer by X-Acto-Girl at 1:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Shirts, pillowcases, tea towels, ordinary towels, bargain bins at the charity shops. You name it we used it. When I first got married we could barely pay the bills so I lost a lot of clothes on diapers for the baby!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 1:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Wow thank God I was blessed to not have to go through that when my daughter was an infant. I starting potty training my daughter when she was almost 2 and had her use to the potty but would still wear pullups when we go out. Well times were hard for a few months of that and ran out of pull ups so I just started putting underwear on her. She would have accidents and I would tell her she has to go to the potty. She hated being wet with pee so she was more encouraged to use the potty. My tradgey lol of running out of pull ups had a great ending because dd was fully tpotty rained by the end of the week or the next week.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Our washer broke down a year or so ago and I made it a week before I had to break down and buy disposables. Once I had gone through all my bottom of the bin diapers, I used all the (previously useless) receiving blankets we had around and did an oragami fold attached with a snappi and regular carters fleece pants over. I've sewn fitted diapers from old sheets, though, with old towels as the soakers... $3 worth of materials (plus a snappi to attach them) and It could have made a dozen diapers.

Before cloth diapering, I would not have known what to use if we ran out of diapers!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• You should see if you can invest in one or two cloth diapers. The all in one's either velcro or snap shut, so it'll be easy on your hands. You can probably find them, if you do some searching, for $10 to $20 a diaper, and just keep them as back ups. All in one diapers have a waterproof layer built in. Just an idea :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2011