Do you need to pump while breastfeeding?

sbushman13011

Asked by sbushman13011 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I pumped when my LO was sleeping or daddy was taking over :) I got a nice stock up esp in those engorgement weeks.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, you don't need to. You can if you want to get some extra to freeze, though. I never bothered with a pump and my kids never had a bottle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's not necessary, but it's nice to have frozen in case your baby needs a bottle or to use for infant cereal.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 2:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• In the very beginning, pumping really helped me out. I was so engorged it was very painful to nurse. I pumped whenever I was uncomfortable. Only the first few weeks, then everything straightens out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No!

It is a modern tool, obviously we humans have survived without them until recently.

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No, only if you plan on having someone else help out with feeding. My 1st one I did not pump at all, but I plan on buying a pump for this baby b/c I will have to still work and it will be the only way I can breastfeed.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• No. You only need to pump if you have a real need for pumped milk. You may want a good manual pump around in case you get engorged and need some relief, but a pump is not a necessity for breastfeeding.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• only if you will be away from your baby for some reason (usually work)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Nope. Many women exclusively nurse their babies without ever pumping.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011