Dry, crusty, flaky skin around and behind ears of my DD whos 6 1/2.. Is it Eczema or something else?

She has this all the time. we haven't gone to the doc but looks like I'm going to go and make a appointment soon. Its a open moist wound, its dry and flaky. she has a big open wound on one of her ears on top. its a pinkish color wound, no bleeding. She did have Eczema growing up but it cleared up on her body. Lately for the last year or less shes been having this around her ears. What could this be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Could it be psoriasis?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Im the OP no its not, i did a search for it and seen pics. Doesnt look like it. its dry and flaky, crusty and it has a open moist wound
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's just dry, flaky, crusty skin.. unless it gets red and oozes, it's pretty okay. I used to get the same thing. Put some vaseline on it, or other type of moisturizer.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My 7yr old dd has psoriasis and it does not look like the pics online but more like how you described.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Oh and it is very common around the ears.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My girls get that but, it is from not cleaning behind their ears good enough. I put lotion behind their ears too.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son had that behind his ears as an infant. It was ezcema. I've been putting Cetaphil cream behind his ears after every bath, and we haven't had the problem since. It was exactly the same as you described.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• it could be from not washing behind the ears good or shampoo or conditioner that wasn't washed off well, my cousin used to do like that when she was little for those reasons
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's possible it's eczema. Try using coconut oil on her dry areas and see if thast helps. My dd has eczema and I lube her up with it and let it sit for about 20 minutes and then I have her take shower. It's been working pretty well for her.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It's not cleaning them well enough, then not drying them well enough after cleaning. I've had the problem myself before, many times - I don't remember what I did to heal it, but once I started consciously scrubbing my ears and drying them really well, I havne't had that problem again.
    Anonymous