Who do you fire?

This is completely hypothetical.

You have two employees that you need to fire. They've been given warnings.. too many warnings, the way your boss sees it. You need to fire one of them.

Employee #1 works really hard and gets the job done, but they always come in late for work, they take long lunches and leave early every single day.

Employee #2 doesn't do that super of a job, but they're always at work early, take short lunches, and leave at the correct time every day.

Both employees have been talked to about their behavior and neither seem to want to change it. Who do you fire?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 2:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Neither... you change or cut their hours so they quit!! That's how they do it in retail from what I've seen any ways.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Employee #2. I only want to employ people who are really good at their jobs.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• That depends on whether #2's lack of production is due to laziness or not. Are they trying to do their job and just falling short, or are they not trying and basically just taking up company time?

If the former, I would fire #1 because I'm a big fan of work ethic, and as long as they're trying, I figure I can expect more out of them.

If the latter, I would fire #2 because I'm not going to pay someone to sit around and do nothing. At least #1 is off the clock when horsing around.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Fire Employee #1 for sure, and if another employee isn't doing that well it is the bosses job to train them better because obviously just telling and not directing isn't working.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Both. With the economy the way it is there will be 50 billion people lined up at the door to do the job. People who will do it properly.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Employee #2 is just lazy. They know how to do the job properly, they just don't want to.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would replace both

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I would fire both and hire someone. In this job market no need to keep sub par employees there are many others who will take the job and do it better and be on time.

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 3:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• both. either one will bring down the team eventually.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2011