question about expiry dates..pls settle a debate..

my SIL bought some salad dressing from costco the other day..it expires in march 2012..we were having an argument about what that really means..i said..if you open the salad dressing NOW it will NOT stay good until march 2012!!! she said it will. i said how is a salad dressing supposed to stay safe to eat when its been opened for 14 MONTHS!! a few months maybe..but 14??? whos right here??

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• it means it is good that long if it has NOT been opened once opened it will only last 6 months...you can even google it
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• The expiration on the bottle pertains to it being unopened. I would never eat anything thats been opened that long.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• What does the bottle say? Some say eat within 2 weeks of opening. I have never had a bottle of salad dressing for that long. Usually go through a bottle within 3-4 months. I don't know if I would wait for 14 months on that one. I would say maybe 6 months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I bet it would actually stay good that long. There is so much junk and preservatives in the salad dressings you buy at the store.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011