How to potty train an active boy....

My son is 24 months. He refuse to sit on the potty. He knows when he has to go, he will go in his diapers, then tell me to change.

It is really hard for me to show him, and his dad is not around a lot. I try to read him books and watch potty train dvds. IT does not work for him...

Any suggestions??????

mtnguy07

Asked by mtnguy07 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait until he turns 3. Then take away the diapers completely. Stay home for 3 days and take him every 1/2 hour or so. He'll catch on quick.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Most boys won't be potty trained until they are about 3. Yes, he understands he is wet, but most likely doesn't know the feeling of having to go. My son is almost 3 and as stubborn as they come. I've been working on potty training for 3 weeks now. Every time I change his diaper, I make him sit on his potty chair. I've only had to change 2-3 wet diapers within the last week. Next step is big boy underwear. You will have to clear your schedule when this time comes. It's not easy to potty train and run errands, it's much easier to stay home and focus on him. Don't worry, he will potty train, eventually. And it is much easier to train them sitting down, the move to standing up. Good luck and just stick with it!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Put cheerios in the potty and tell him to "hit the boats" :)
    HEATHERDAWN0531

Answer by HEATHERDAWN0531 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Bribery worked for me. My son got a sticker and a ton of praise when he went. I started by letting him sit on the potty when I changed his diaper and got his bath ready. Once he went a few times I started letting him run around in underwear and had him sit on the potty often.I used 2 M&Ms for #2. It was a slow process (3-4 monthstotal) before he quit having accidents but at 27 months he only wears diapers at night. He still gets stickers when he asks for them.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 5:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2011