Is it okay for a christian to use any type of fertility treatments?

Does it mean that you don't have faith in God?

kenswife612

Asked by kenswife612 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends what church and branch of Christianity you follow. I know both types of Christians. Many who do and many who don't. Even the ones who don't use contraception can use natural contraception, i.e. abstinence and working out ovulation times and therefore working out when they are least likely to get pregnant.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I guess it depends on the individual christian and what they feel comfortable with. Some may think of fertility treatments as something that doesn't collide with their faith. Others may disagree.

Interesting question :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• For me fertility treatments are a no, as is unnatural contraception (we do follow natural family planning). However, there is no one, unified Christian belief on this and what is right for me, may not feel right for another Christian. That is for them, their husband, and God to decide.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I feel like God created us as intelligent creatures for a reason-Science when used for good is completely within Gods plan for us, Infertility is a medical condition- each handles it in a different way- some seek adoption, some decide to remain childless and some opt for fertility treatments- I think God is happy when we use His gifts (intelligence and free will) for good and in accordance with His teachings
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I guess it all comes down to how you personally feel convicted. Christians have different opinions on this. I personally see nothing wrong with it. I rather like soyousay's explanation - that our ability to come to solutions is something I think God intends for us to use. I guess it makes me think of that joke where the guy is on the roof in a flood, praying for God to save him, turning away boats and a helicopter, and when he dies he asks God why and God says that He sent the help the man needed, he just didn't take advantage of it. If that makes any sense, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I do not think its wrong. My sister did IVF and spent months researching, praying, ect about it before she decided to do it. If its Gods plans for you to NOT have children, the IVF wont work. God has His hand in that too.

The only thing she didnt agree with is people that throw away the fertilized embryos. We view that as the same as abortion. So from the start she knew she would implant ALL the ones she had.

nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I believe it is a decision between you, spouse and God and no one else.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't know if it's wrong, but I do believe that God has a plan for all of us and sometimes, instead of seeking His will, we seek our own will and that's what I think people who go through fertility treatments are doing. I hope that doesn't sound judging because I really don't mean it that way.
    Also, I think the Lord wants us to take care of orphans and adopt, perhaps that's why there are some many people suffering from infertility? Because there are some many children who already need parents in this world and He wants us to care for them rather than creating more children when there are so many starving and neglected orphans.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 11:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2011