Where do you live and what are the benefits of living there?

I am in school in a field in which most likely i wont be getting a job close to where i live because its just so saturated because the school has been here for so long so there are limited local jobs. but anyways, i am researching other cities. or near by towns.

I only have lived on the east coast for all my life. i have never known anything about other parts of the country. i have visited boston, florida, california but i would like to find out about some other places and the benefits of living there.

school system, safe neighborhood, good public transportion. ofcourse no place is perfect but i just wanted to find out.

these are some of my thoughts so far.
san francisco, boston, nyc(or upstate), utah, las vegas, seattle.

if anyone lives near any of these places please give me some feedback and if you live some place that i did not mention but its great place in your eyes please share with me why.

thanks.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 2:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Chicago is a fantastic place to live and raise kids! There are great school (and awful schools), you don't need a car, lots of great things to do (many of them free).
    Send me a message offlist if you have any questions!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I will def keep it in mind. i will be applying for jobs everywhere so i will keep that on my list.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I live in Las Vegas. The economy here is in the toilet, but I actually love living here. The weather is amazing, for one. No real winter, always blue skies, no snow, rain, humidity, or mosquitoes, lots of sunshine. The mountains are so beautiful. There is so much to do here and everything is very convenient. I live on the far NW side, where it's all suburbs, but I'm still minutes from anything I could possibly want to do. It's also driving distance to most places we want to vacation, including beaches, Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, etc. It's about 15 minutes to Mt. Charleston, if you like to ski. The school system is really hit and miss. There are some great schools and some horrible schools. I researched schools for months before finding a house, to make sure my kids were in a great school.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I live in Minnesota and the Minneapolis suburbs are some of the best, clean good schools and not alot of crime in some areas. Minneapolis itself has alot of Arts and entertainment. there are Lakes near the uptown area for walking and sailboating. The prices of food are good and there's plenty of shopping. The community resources and schools are some of the best. Winters are cold but that is fine because there are plenty of winter sports.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I should also mention the public transportation is top notch and there is the mall of america!
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't mind the cold. Thanks for the information. what kind of public transportation do they have? trains and buses. i am totally a train gal. i hate buses. ugh.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm all for AZ..........love that state and wish I was back there and I also was born and brought up on the east coast. Too many wonderful things and people and vocations to mention.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 6:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm a native Bostonian and can honestly say the metro area offers FANTASTIC employment, cultural, and educational opportunities. The transit (train) system is such that you can live within 20 miles of Boston proper, and still be able to the city, your job, or schools within reason. And overall the train system is VERY safe (I grew up in Brookline along the "Green line."

Of course, rentals and home prices are expensive, but you have to consider all of the conveniences of having everything you need/want at your fingertips! The public schools in Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, and towns that border Boston and along the "south shore" have FANTASTIC ratings. Boston schools, not so much--Boston residents primarily send their children to private/catholic schools.

Hope this helps! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I love Arkansas. I live in a small rural suburb aabout 30 mons from town. It's cheap, nice, and real family friendly.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I live in Hermosa Beach,Ca. And i love it
    Beautiful, safe,calm, quiet... I love it.
    Im sure about he schools because im sending DD to private schools.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011