Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Childsupport .... what can I do?

I have already filed for child support, and at LEAST 6 months ago, he's had a court date, I didn't get to attend, but they are going to garnish his wages, IF he will ever KEEP a job!! My TANF is about to get cut off, and he doesn't have a job yet, and I am going to need the support for my 2 kids, there anything I can do to enforce it? As far as going to child support enforcement, i think he has a court date coming up in february, but i'm not sure.


Asked by knicole0708 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 23 (17,012 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Been there done that and until he gets a job well there isnt alot CSE can do. My ex quit all his jobs before 3 mths which is around how long it takes for a garnishment, or just after his wages were garnished. All you can do is go to every court date and ask them to put him in jail. You would be shocked at how much money is found between the court house and the jail by dead beat dads.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • There is not really too much you can do but learn to count on yourself. My poor sister is going on about 4 years without a single child support payment and she just keep going to try and get it enforced but since he doesn't have a job there is nothing to take from him.

    Answer by Melbornj at 3:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • I am in the process of getting child support for my children. My son's father is the same, can never keep a job. And he is paying child support for two of his other kids. When he does not pay child support then he has to pay back pay and if he files taxes it comes straight out of that esspecially if he owes. But to enforce it, nothing can be done by you. If he gets so far behind, he will be put in jail. You can ask a lawyer or child support for more info though. Good luck to you.

    Answer by Angel.Johnson87 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • oh boy dont know what to tell guess would be that you take him back to court, and keep going after him until he pays what her owes you....maybe alittle jail time would help him out!

    Answer by michaux at 3:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Can you exceed the TANF? Do they have workshops to help you find a job? If he doesnt have a job they may order him to find a job but you will also need to find a job too to support those babies. The burden shouldnt only be on him. I always said if I have a child I will never beg the father for child support. If he wants to support them ok. if not, then I need to be self sufficient for myself and child or children. Sorry If I am being too honest. I have a 3 yr old and when I was unemployed I was out looking for a job every day. I think I submitted my resume to over 1000s of jobs and not once did I consider child support. Shes mine and I have to support her with a father or without one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • I mean can you extend the TANF?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Anon - Of course I already know that, I have submitted my resume to everywhere I am physically able to work at, even on Craigslist, and 711's! It's not easy, especially having 2 kids w/ no reliable daycare. I consider CS because he is the father, he made the choice to have kids, as well as I, so he needs to MAN UP and support his children weither he wants to or not. I could be rich as the richest person out there, but he still needs to support them regardless!

    Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • You are legally required to double the child support. We pay 300 for my step daughter, she is suppose to march it 300. Does she, no. She uses money to pay her rent and no money goes to our step daughter. Cs is only for the child. As the custodial parent you should be able to support the child. Child support enforcement is very weak. It's usually not paid bc they can find work that pays cash. We pay child support each month, and it sickens us that our money doesn't go towards our step daughter.but for beer figs etc. I think child support should be set up differently for the cs payees who always pay. Rightnow my step daughter lives three hours away and the mothers car broke down. She is required by court order to meet us half way. Yet she didn't and hasn't for the last month. Why do we not get rewarded for paying cs,and she doesn't get punished for not meeting us. How about in the summer when we have her all summer

    Answer by MKSers at 3:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Content. And we still have to pay child support yet the mother did not have the child at all? The whole system is messed up. Nothing actually is set in place for helping the children, nothing.

    Answer by MKSers at 3:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

  • Well i'm sorry, but child support wouldn't go towards beer or cigs, I don't do that for one, and 2 that's not supporting my kid. I don't see what's wrong in putting CS towards rent, that's a roof over the childrens head, keeps them warm, safe and they have a bed to sleep in, and food in there mouth. But I don't need it for rent either. My kids need to be supported by BOTH parent's, he chose to leave me, so if he didn't want the responsibility of having children, he should have never chose to have any. I love my kids, and will do anything I can to support them, but right now, i need some help!

    Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011