Cleaning FREAK!!!

So I might have OCD. I clean the house all the time. The Vacuum and cleaning supplies are my best friends. I never leave dishes in the sink. And I am always doing laundry. This morning I woke up to go use the bathroom at around 2 or 3 am, and found myself cleaning the bathroom. No one is allowed to wear shoes in my home. I am constantly bleaching our counter-tops and wiping stuff down. I always find myself going behind my guest after they leave the bathroom or my kitchen, just to make sure everything is back in place or clean. I also get panic attacks when my MIL is over and she is cooking, because she never cleans up and always leaves my kitchen is disarray. Do any of you experience this?

lol YEA I can function. I do most of my cleaning at night when kids are sleep, or at school. It does not consume me. It's when I start I get so focused and can not stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't be able to function like that. I'd go insane.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I love a clean house but I don't follow people cleaning up after them. LOL. Try a new hobby.
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 3:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Want to come to my house? lol -No, seriously. It sound kind of obsessed to me. Can you sit still for an hour and read a book or watch a movie without having your thoughts wandering off to cleaning?
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'd say you need some help or your life is going to be totally overtaken by this need for clean. When your need to have things "just so" overtakes your thoughts & actions & begins to interfere with how you relate to the rest of the world, that's OCD, and it will take professional counseling to help you take it down a notch.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Occasionally I feel like that. Today I made myself take a break. I did light cleaning..haha some break eh? But I skipped vacuuming. I don`t like looking at a mess but I found out of sight of mind type of thing.. I went to visit my friend for awhile. I am goin to get out of the house in a bit too. I will be ok and so will you. Find something else to occupy your time.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I'm gqoing crazy bc our hot water element blew which means NO hot water for cleaning!!!!!!! I swear if someone comes over, I'm going to flip out! My house is cleaned daily so things don't pile up on me

MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I do the same thing. A little while ago I found myself sweeping the STREET in front of my house because for some reason the street sweeper never does a good job. The neighbors were looking at me funny. Lol.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It wasn't like in the middle of the street though. I just cleaned up the leaves in the gutter.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• That does sound like OCD. My friend has the same issues and has a medical diagnosis of OCD. I think there are different degrees of it. As for me I do not have it and I just gave up on the clean house thing, it's to stressful! I don't live in filth but I wouldn't suggest eating off the floor either ;-) There are times I just want to chuck or sale it all and start over.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think you may have a tinge of OCD but more than that, IMO, your cleaning is more of an issue with control--and not being able to give up some of it! Is your life "upside down" or do you perceive it to be? Are you particularly stressed at this moment? Do you have other outlets?

When I am particularly stressed or annoyed, I clean--both to channel my frustrations (instead of yelling/cursing), and to control that which I cannot control. Having an orderly home makes me feel good and "balanced."

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE a clean home, but I manage to find things to clean. LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2011